nospam still hiding in the ...

Sandman
Subjectnospam still hiding in the tall grass (was: The closest we'll get to nospam admitting to an error)
Message-ID<sandman-557b3e727a393006853f925499e784e2@individual.net>
Followupsnospam (19m) > Sandman

The below was posted Jan 11, 15 days ago. Since then, nospam has posted 173 times, yet been unable to respond, in spite of claiming twice that he would:

"i have not abandoned the thread. replies are pending." / nospam- 01/12/2016

"i'll reply when i want and not before then." / nospam- 01/22/2016

"a reply is forthcoming and i'm *not* in error, however, i have other things to do than argue with you." / nospam- 01/22/2016

Must be a HUGE reply if it has taken him fifteen days to write it, huh?

Seriously though, I'll stop harassing him over it, he's been humiliated enough and this is what he does - argue until he is blue in the face until he realizes he is incorrect, and then just goes totally quiet hoping that no one will remember him having his ass handed to him.

He even said he'll answer when I answered the question he had asked:

"i'm still waiting for you to answer the questions i asked. feel free to do so before i post the responses." / nospam- 01/13/2016

Which of course I did in my followup: <sandman-f97aad1f1aa38b37c305120b40b994e2@individual.net>

And after that... crickets :)

In article <sandman-a5118f15eda81e0dd96849bd14e8daa2@individual.net>, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
I've said it before - when proven wrong, nospam either snips the proof or quietly leaves the thread. He would never admit to being wrong, so this is as close as we'll ever get to him admitting to claiming that ISO is a logarithmic scale was an incorrect claim - he abandoned the thread. :-D

The funnies part is all the energy he spent into making sarcastic remarks along the way, and when he realized he was 100% incorrect, he just left with his tail between his legs. :-D

In article <sandman-a44afc81fec44d91dbc0fd8667abcb98@individual.net>, Sandman

<snip ignorance>

Last chance, I'll help you.

Here's the "scale" you see in your head:

<>

And you're going - yeah, ISO is totally logarithmic. But that's because you're not understanding what it is measuring. See the column with "photons", being a label for amount of light really. See how it also doubles in value for each step?

Yeah, that's because in photography infancy, it was determined that one "stop" is twice the amount of light. It makes sense, of course, since amount of light grows exponentially when using a circular aperture.

So, the thing we're actually measuring is light, with me so far? And light doesn't come in either 2000 photons or 4000 photons, it comes in any number of photons, and the scale actually looks like this:

<>

See how for every 1,000,000 photons we let in, the amount of light grows linearly? And see how exposure times are spread out further and further apart? That's because the step between 1/60 and 1/30 lets in *far* more light than the step between 1/500 and 1/250. basic math - 100% of the preceding value will always grow larger and larger.

And since ISO also measures stops, it follows the exact linear curve along the amount of light. DIN, being logarithmic, does not. For each stop it moves a fixed amount.

Compare with another logarithmic scale - f-stops, using the same graduation in light:

<>

It has the same correlation to the graduation, meaning it measures a doubling of data, but the scale itself is not linear (arithmetic), it is logarithmic. Each step is not linearly corrpssondant to what it is measuring.

So, a good example here is the Richter scale. Just like the DIN scale, it is also logarithmic. One fixed step in the scale equals ten times the graduation (earthquake amplitude). If the richter scale would be arithmetic like ISO, each step in the scale would be 10 times higher than the preceding value, since it is measuring something that is 10 times more than the preceding value.

Hope this helped.

-- Sandman