Re: nospam still not admitt...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: nospam still not admitting to an error (was: The closest we'll get to nospam admitting to an err
FromEric Stevens
Date01/25/2016 09:23 (01/25/2016 21:23)
Message-ID<1bmbabh478m2chg7pjlk5fk67qatg0cea4@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (1h & 30m) > Eric Stevens

On 25 Jan 2016 06:31:34 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <g3raablqfmvm55jq7ae0f6pre1c5ojdn9e@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

So why are you doing this all over again? You were proven wrong back then and I would have no problem proving you wrong again using the same facts. Why dig up arguments from the past like this?

Eric Stevens
Just to demonstrate the logicacl flaw in your claim that the only correct way to construct a thread is to rely on a feature, the use of which is optional.

Don't wind this argument up again or you will further irritate PeterN. Just accept that there is more than one way of looking at the matter.

Sandman
I am not the one "winding up" this argument again. You are. And there isn't a matter of "looking" at it. You made an incorrect claim that I disproved. Do you want me to disprove it yet again?

You have strange idea of 'proof'.

See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5256#ref-THREADING

"The ORDEREDSUBJECT threading algorithm is also referred to as "poor man's threading". The searched messages are sorted by base subject and then by the sent date. The messages are then split into separate threads, with each thread containing messages with the same base subject text. Finally, the threads are sorted by the sent date of the first message in the thread."

Your software will not enable you to construct threads like this and for that reason you seem to think it is wrong.

Agent says of this:

"Check this box to have Agent include messages with the same subject under the same thread, even if the follow-up message doesn't contain a valid reference to the original. People frequently mis-post responses and this helps match follow-ups with the message to which they are responses.

Checking this box will also cause Agent to thread your email messages."

As you say, not many news reader will enable this but my first quote shows that this does not mean that Agent is wrong to do so. Threading on subject is permitted and can be a good idea.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Sandman (1h & 30m) > Eric Stevens