Re: ISO value names are bec...

Whisky-dave
SubjectRe: ISO value names are becoming ridiculous
FromWhisky-dave
Date01/08/2016 15:15 (01/08/2016 06:15)
Message-ID<85caed2a-0a10-498e-97f1-b6451917ff72@googlegroups.com>
Followsnospam

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 16:48:37 UTC, nospam wrote:

nospam
In article <866654e7-4cbc-4948-8100-eba026253556@googlegroups.com>, Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>wrote:

Whisky-dave
I doubt I'd have any trouble working out what 12,800

Sandman
Which is why it's only a problem now when we have ISO values of 3,200,000 and 4,000,000

Whisky-dave
but it's not if you just use whats called teh significant bits/number like you have above why is 4 million ISO so complex it's twice as fast as 2 million and half the speed of 8 million ISO or 8M just like we do with semsor sizes and hard disc sizes.

Sandman
Right, but how many stops faster is ISO 4,000,000 to ISO 51,200? Not so easy to calculate in your head any longer, now is it?

Whisky-dave
No it isn't but not much more difficult working out anything else that yuo get used to.

nospam
yep. people don't do math in their head each time they adjust something on the camera. they intuitively know what settings are needed for a given shot.

Not always but the better or more experienced you are the less calculating you need to do. And it's hardly maths (YES IT'S MATHS as it's a plural) for those that think I want to half the shutter speed so I'll open up by one stop or change the Tv depending which mode you happen to be in.

Whisky-dave
would have meant either. which is why DIN or EV would be better than ISO as sensitivities increase as they do today.

Sandman
Which incidentally, is what I'm saying. In fact, the old arithmetic ASA standard had a logarithmic equivalent later called APEX which is very similar to what I am proposing, where APEX 5° = ASA 100 and APEX 6° = ASA 200 etc etc.

Whisky-dave
So why change it then, no one really used APEX because there was no reason to.

Sandman
Since the ISO range was limited and not that easy to calculate in your head.

Whisky-dave
limited in what way ? and I can calculate it in my head even more easily than aperatures, but no calculation is needed you just memeorise it. Tell me how or why you calculate £5.6 lets 4 times the light it than f11. How did you calculate it ? No one calculates it anymore, unless you're learning photography.

nospam
yep. apparently this is all new to him.

perhaps becasue he's rarely used film in the past and kept everything on auto or P mode.

Sandman
Mostly it went from ISO 100 up to a whopping ISO 1600. So using an arithmetic scale with those few numbers is easy. When using an arithmetic scale with values from 100 to 4,000,000 it's no longer as easy.

Whisky-dave
Which is why DIN would be better as A it would have less digits B it'd be the same systems as sound. You could also then have a light signal to noise ration in DIN presently with IOS it's virtually impossible to work out.

nospam
which is why din caught on with photographers worldwide.

it did with photographers that used it, but as usual the crapest system won out because the USA was the market leader in film production with kodak. Just like it does with most products. VHS and betamax and the phillips V2000 . There were two systems of rating film speed ASA the american version and DIN which was mostly German. Most films came with both written on the package, but Germany didn;t make much film but made good camera and lens which the USA didn;t at the time. But as the world got smaller there was a need for a world wide standard that evryone would stick to so they came up with the ISO which is the international standards organisation so they just looked at what was around ... ASA and DIN so they took 100 ASA as a standard and just called it ISO 100. If a fiulm was previously 50 ASA it would now be ISO 50, it just seemed easier and better commercaily, as more peole understood the doubling than the log of DIN.

oh right it didn't. like it or not, iso is how it is and how it's going to stay.

I hode so that was the aim of the committee that set it up.

Like it or NOT most of teh civerlised world uses the metric systemm one day maybe the USA will catch up NASA has.