Re: ISO value names are bec...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: ISO value names are becoming ridiculous
FromSavageduck
Date01/07/2016 07:01 (01/06/2016 22:01)
Message-ID<0001HW.1C3E36A50A7D2E4F14E7EF3CF@news.giganews.com>
FollowsPeterN
FollowupsPeterN (10h & 45m)

On Jan 6, 2016, PeterN wrote (in article <n6ksig02tjp@news3.newsguy.com>):

PeterN
On 1/7/2016 12:03 AM, Bill W wrote:

Bill W
On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 23:52:58 -0500, PeterN<peter.new@verizon.net> wrote:

PeterN
On 1/6/2016 4:14 PM, nospam wrote:

nospam
In article<n6jv8s02ed2@news3.newsguy.com>, PeterN <peter.new@verizon.net>wrote:

Peter Irwin
There were some leaf-shutter cameras which had an exposure value lock so that changing either speed or aperture would change both at once.

nospam
cameras today easily do that, and have for years.

PeterN
I wonder how many serious amateurs have used that feature, except

when

using auto ISO.

nospam
probably most, if not all of them.

anyone who uses p/s/a modes did.

PeterN
Nope. Most that I know and shoot with use either aperture preferred, shutter preferred, or manual. They rarely use program mode. The choice depends upon the subject matter and desired image. If you want to shoot program mode, that;s your choice.

Bill W
But in Program mode, the front and rear dials can be used to select an aperture or shutter speed, overriding the program. I assume that all decent DSLR's operate that way. I think it's much handier than switching between Av and Tv on the mode dial. I also learned the hard way that it can cause ruined shots when you let the camera hang, and one of the dials rubs against your clothing. I also assume that all DSLR's have a button that's used to reset everything you changed, which then reverts back to pure program mode. It's the "green" button on mine.

PeterN
I don't know which cameras you have, but my DSLRs, (D800&D300,) operate in one of four modes. I have never used program mode, so I can't knowledgeably talk about the fine points of using it. I use either a, s, or manual. Depending on what I am looking for, I may or may not use auto ISO. In manual, of course, I can set both the aperture and shutter speed. The ISO then adjusts automatically. Like many other things in photography, there is no set right way. The methodology will vary with what method the photographer feels will most easily achieve the sought for image. Yes, I have periodically had rubbing issues where i have accidentally changed the aperture. It is something I am aware of, and check for.-- PeterN

As someone who shoots mainly with Aperture priority, some Shutter priority, and only occasionally full manual, I find there are times when “P” mode can be useful if used with some understanding, particularly when matched with a particular ISO. It can be a quick way ofmaking DoF adjustments and obtaining a balanced exposure. (VR/IS helps here) If using Auto-ISO set appropriately “P” mode can be a good choice for spontaneous, or street shooting. As always it is the photographer’s choice, it is good to understand what you have available for whatever need might arise, and to have the ability to think creatively on the fly.

Regardless of what we call ISO/ASA/DIN we have to understand what those numbers mean when it comes to dealing with the characteristics of individual sensors. Most importantly just because the ISO range for these various sensors has been extended to a point unimaginable in analog photography, it doesn’t mean that pushing that ISO envelope is going to produce a low light masterpiece. There is more to making those captures than using ISO 3M.

--

Regards, Savageduck

PeterN (10h & 45m)