Re: ISO value names are bec...

nospam
SubjectRe: ISO value names are becoming ridiculous
Fromnospam
Date01/07/2016 06:50 (01/07/2016 00:50)
Message-ID<070120160050570759%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsPeterN
FollowupsPeterN (10h & 45m)
Eric Stevens (18h & 38m)

In article <n6ksum02qto@news6.newsguy.com>, PeterN <peter.new@verizon.net>wrote:

Peter Irwin
There were some leaf-shutter cameras which had an exposure value lock so that changing either speed or aperture would change both at once.

nospam
cameras today easily do that, and have for years.

PeterN
I wonder how many serious amateurs have used that feature, except when using auto ISO.

nospam
probably most, if not all of them.

anyone who uses p/s/a modes did.

PeterN
Nope. Most that I know and shoot with use either aperture preferred, shutter preferred, or manual. They rarely use program mode.

nospam
then it's good thing i listed s and a, isn't it?

PeterN
Not always.

not always what?

i listed s and a, which you mentioned most photographers you know use, as well as manual.

you obviously don't use auto ISO much.

wrong. i use auto iso nearly 100% of the time, as there's really no downside with it limited to iso 1600 or so. however, some situations might need that limit raised, such as theatre, where 1600 is rather slow.

It also wont make a compensatory adjustment if you change the ISO. My salient point is that program mode is not often used by advanced photographers. All else is nitpicking on your part.

nitpicking is what you're doing.

and it actually does make a compensatory adjustment, just with iso rather than f/stop or shutter speed.

unlike film where there was only one iso per roll, with digital, iso can be changed on the fly, giving the photographer three (not two) variables to work with.

PeterN (10h & 45m)
Eric Stevens (18h & 38m)