Re: ISO value names are bec...

Bill W
SubjectRe: ISO value names are becoming ridiculous
FromBill W
Date01/07/2016 06:03 (01/06/2016 21:03)
Message-ID<n0sr8bhsmvsde3kkbtvetonvoj3avplm69@4ax.com>
FollowsPeterN
FollowupsPeterN (17m)

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 23:52:58 -0500, PeterN <peter.new@verizon.net> wrote:

PeterN
On 1/6/2016 4:14 PM, nospam wrote:

nospam
In article <n6jv8s02ed2@news3.newsguy.com>, PeterN <peter.new@verizon.net>wrote:

Peter Irwin
There were some leaf-shutter cameras which had an exposure value lock so that changing either speed or aperture would change both at once.

nospam
cameras today easily do that, and have for years.

PeterN
I wonder how many serious amateurs have used that feature, except when using auto ISO.

nospam
probably most, if not all of them.

anyone who uses p/s/a modes did.

PeterN
Nope. Most that I know and shoot with use either aperture preferred, shutter preferred, or manual. They rarely use program mode. The choice depends upon the subject matter and desired image. If you want to shoot program mode, that;s your choice.

But in Program mode, the front and rear dials can be used to select an aperture or shutter speed, overriding the program. I assume that all decent DSLR's operate that way. I think it's much handier than switching between Av and Tv on the mode dial. I also learned the hard way that it can cause ruined shots when you let the camera hang, and one of the dials rubs against your clothing. I also assume that all DSLR's have a button that's used to reset everything you changed, which then reverts back to pure program mode. It's the "green" button on mine.

PeterN (17m)