Re: Next Lightroomrequires ...

nospam
SubjectRe: Next Lightroomrequires 64bit
Fromnospam
Date01/31/2015 05:06 (01/30/2015 23:06)
Message-ID<300120152306050328%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsMayayana

In article <mahiab$fci$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>wrote:

Mayayana
| >that link is *not* the same as the above, which is *exactly* why | >tinyurl is *bad* and should never be used, as it doesn't necessarily go | >to where the user says it does. | > | In at least the last ten years I have never had that happen, nor have I | heard a complaint about a link I posted, although i use it quite often/

I generally ignore those links. They're a bad idea that never really served any purpose. There's no reason not to post the full link. It's just as easy to copy/paste 3 lines as it is to copy/paste one short line.

there's no need to copy/paste anything.

links are auto-detected and made clickable and if it has <>delimiters, it can span multiple lines without issue.

url shorteners appeared because of broken software that *didn't* do that and was later reinforced by services such as twitter where there is a limit on the number of characters. now it's fashionable to have one. crazy.

And all sorts of things could hide in a link. It may go to the wrong place. It may track you. It may add a 3rd-party tracker. For instance, a media site could provide short links "for convenience" and send people invisibly to a site that tracks and then loads the true destination. Malware could even be installed that way. You could end up being sent to a site in Russia or China on your way to your destination and never see any indication that it happened.

yep.

(Google actually tracks all visitors by sending clicks through their own server first. They started doing that a couple of years ago. They *sort of* don't hide it, but it's a kind of open secret. One can see it if one hovers over the link and has a status bar, but most people don't know enough to notice. That's exactly what a shortened link can do.)

that's mainly so that google can see what search terms are used and what results people click on, which helps them improve their search algorithms which makes the results better for everyone.

keeping a user's search history is something else entirely and easily disabled or blocked.