Re: Next Lightroomrequires ...

nospam
SubjectRe: Next Lightroomrequires 64bit
Fromnospam
Date01/30/2015 20:01 (01/30/2015 14:01)
Message-ID<300120151401360251%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowupsSandman (22m) > nospam

In article <sandman-6c71a993459285c82e86d3b28d551060@individual.net>, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
I blamed nothing on you, you illiterate fool

nospam
yes you did:

Sandman
Incorrect.

nospam
Sandman: I wonder what happened to your browser when you clicked it. Odd!

Sandman
Thanks for supporting me. That is not blaming you for anything, that is me wondering about something. Do learn to read.

you're assuming it's my browser. it has *nothing * to do with my browser.

it happens in any of four different browsers here.

the problem is that it's an ad-tracking redirect.

No, I made a tinyurl directly from the original site. You are clueless as usual.

nospam
yet it ended up linking to an ad-tracker.

Sandman
Which doesn't change the fact that I created it directly from the original site.

somehow it's linking to an ad-tracker.

it doesn't matter how it ended up that way but it did.

nospam: lightroom 5 requires a 64 bit processor

The installer comes with a 32bit and 64bit binary:

nospam
nobody said it didn't.

Sandman
No, but you said it requires a 64 bit system. It doesn't. You were incorrect.

it does on mac.

however, i did misread the windows requirements. i saw amd 64 and thought it needed a 64 bit cpu.

however, anyone running windows 7 and/or lightroom 5 is almost certainly running a 64 bit capable system because windows 7 on a 32 bit system is going to be painful and the vast majority of windows 7 users have it because they bought new hardware, which will be 64 bit.

so amend it to be that *almost* everyone who runs lr5 on windows can upgrade to lr6 and *everyone* on a mac.

the number of people who run win7 on older 32 bit hardware is very low, particularly adobe users, close enough to zero to be considered zero.

Exactly. I don't have access to Adobe stats, so I googled and the first thing I found was steam stats. As I said, I suspect real world stats shows more using 32bit Windows 7.

nospam
steam stats are not relevant.

Sandman
I know, can't you read?

then why did you cite them?

nospam
adobe most likely has *more* 64 bit users than steam does since a lot of gamers are kids or hobbyists who can't afford the latest and greatest hardware or software, whereas adobe's customers are typically on the cutting edge of technology.

Sandman
64bit processors and systems are not the "latest and greatest" any more. But you have a point, there may not be as much difference as I thought.

where are the 128 bit chips?

oh right, there aren't any yet.

64 bit processors *are* the latest and greatest and are rapidly becoming dominant in *phones*. 32 bit is oldschool.

nospam: adobe customers were pining for a 64 bit version of photoshop nearly *ten* years ago, leading up to cs4's release on windows in 2008 and also upset that mac users had to wait for cs5.

Irrelevant to current usage stats.

nospam
it's *exactly* relevant.

Sandman
Incorrect. What an unspecified percentage of users supposedly "pines" for ten years ago is irrelevant to current usage stats, which is also unknown at this point.

it means that the desire for 64 bit is nothing new and dropping 32 bit is long overdue.

nospam
adobe's customers want 64 bit apps and have for nearly a decade. they don't want 32 bit apps anymore and haven't for a long time.

Sandman
Source? Thought so.

adobe.