Re: Is RGB to Lab lossy? -...

Ron C
SubjectRe: Is RGB to Lab lossy? - was(Re: Lenses and sharpening)
FromRon C
Date10/09/2014 04:51 (10/08/2014 22:51)
Message-ID<E9KdnXjrq7HfZajJnZ2dnUU7-I2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
FollowsPeterN
FollowupsPeterN (12h & 56m)

On 10/7/2014 3:52 PM, PeterN wrote:

Martin Brown
< ....large snip.... >

PeterN
Thanks, What you and Dr. Brown say makes sense. From a photo standpoint I will continue to keep LAB in my workflow, while trying not to overdue it.

There is an interesting discussion on using LAB to control color saturation at:

<http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t308>

though it may have been posted before.

I'd tend to think of Lab mode as just another tool to work with as needed. The more tools the better, but do take the time to learn the range and limitations of the stuff in your tool box.

Anyway, sticking my neck out (for what little it may be worth), I pulled the squirrel photo out from the above "..dgrin.com/.. " thread and had a go with it in Lab space.

I've posted the before and my after in my photobucket if anyone may care. < http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/Editorial_Minstrel/library/Lab%20tests > < http://tinyurl.com/kyrt87u >

I'm guessing similar results could be had in RGB space.

=Later... Ron C --

PeterN (12h & 56m)