Re: Is RGB to Lab lossy? -...

Alan Browne
SubjectRe: Is RGB to Lab lossy? - was(Re: Lenses and sharpening)
FromAlan Browne
Date10/06/2014 04:37 (10/05/2014 22:37)
Message-ID<sbmdnfKAO4_mna_JnZ2dnUU7-LGdnZ2d@giganews.com>
FollowsPeterN
FollowupsPeterN (10h & 41m) > Alan Browne
Eric Stevens (18h & 49m) > Alan Browne

On 2014.10.05, 20:55 , PeterN wrote:

PeterN
On 10/5/2014 6:57 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

Alan Browne
On 2014.10.05, 14:42 , PeterN wrote:

We went through all this some many months ago. I demonstrated clearly that the amount of 'loss' was negligible in practical terms.

PeterN
I would use the terem "color change." anstead of loss.

Alan Browne
Any change is a quality loss. Whether that is colour difference, tone, brightness, sharpness ... whatever, it's a loss.

PeterN
Then you are using a different definition of quality.

Not at all. A non lossy process would have:

RGB-A -->X-format -->RGB-B

with RGB-A identical to RGB-B

But - the fact is that with Lab

RGB-A -->Lab -->RGB-B

RGB-A =/= RGB-B, therefore there was quality loss.

-- << Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable than “carrying [the children] to fruition.” Sadly, “there’s a high infant mortality rate among Broad Outlines—they often fall prey to Nonstarters.” >> "Bestiary of Intelligence Writing" - CIA