Re: Is RGB to Lab lossy? -...

nospam
SubjectRe: Is RGB to Lab lossy? - was(Re: Lenses and sharpening)
Fromnospam
Date10/06/2014 03:05 (10/05/2014 21:05)
Message-ID<051020142105246759%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <lh013apbeokvnrvl07b5r4kjsms83cd9dt@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

nospam
notice the differences at the left end of the histogram.

however, this is about round-tripping from rgb to lab and then back. you only did half.

Eric Stevens
Fir comment. I've just compared the original JPG with a copy -->Lab -->JPG again. JPGs are RGB are they not?

nospam
usually but not always

Eric Stevens
Then what else might they be and under what circumstances?

nospam
cmyk

Eric Stevens
OK, but RGB is the default.

not if your source image is cmyk.

The only conclusion I can reach is that there is no difference between a PSD created from a RGB file and a PSD created from the same image when it has first been converted from RGB to Lab.

nospam
there is. it may not be a huge difference, but there is a difference.

Eric Stevens
As soon as you do anything in Photoshop there is a difference due to rounding errors (quantization) but is this all you are objecting to?

nospam
you do realize that adds up, right?

Eric Stevens
Yes, and it's common to evrything you do. So why does converting to Lab allegedly make it so much worse?

nospam
i didn't say converting to lab was much worse.

i said that rgb->lab->rgb is not lossless. you may not care about the loss, but it's definitely there.

margulis is wrong.

Eric Stevens
Read this extract from the exchange at https://www.ledet.com/margulis/ACT_postings/ColorCorrection/ACT-LAB-damage.htm

============================================================>From: Dan Margulis, 76270.1033@compuserve.com Date: Tue, Apr 24, 2001, 9:53 AM RE: [colortheory] A real world example of the RGB>LAB>RGB debate...

Stephen writes,

I was very shocked at the effects of the simple mode change from

RGB>LAB>RGB on APS4 and 5.5. Here are the links so you can view the differences, and download and see for yourself:>>

What seems to have happened here is that the file was intended to be Adobe RGB, but during conversion to LAB it was assumed that it was an sRGB file. That will, of course, hose all the colors. The possibility of such hijinks is a major reason that many users avoid Adobe RGB.

Treating this as an Adobe RGB file, and converting RGB>LAB>RGB five times, I get the normal result, no variation of any significance, quality-wise or statistical.

Dan Margulis

P.S. If this file were properly converted to sRGB, this would be an example of the kind of file that *wouldn't* convert well, because so much of it is close to the edge of the gamut. But sRGB>LAB>sRGB, although not lossless, would be better than, for example, sRGB>Adobe RGB>sRGB. ==============================================================> Dan Margulis is not making simple blanket statements capable of being rebutted in the same fashion. Also, look at the date.

the date is irrelevant.

the math hasn't changed.

he's changing the rules, as he always does. *that* conversion might have had argb/srgb issues but *others* don't.

he was wrong then and he's still wrong.

nospam
do you see people arguing to edit jpegs? of course not.

Eric Stevens
What exactly do you mean by that?

nospam
you say you can't see a difference in an rgb-lab-rgb conversion and you subtracted them and saw all black, therefore, you have deemed them to be equivalent.

Eric Stevens
I didn't say that. Read it all again carefully. I compared an rgb-lab-rgb conversion to the original JPG.

nospam
you said you saw black when subtracting them.

Eric Stevens
I also pointed out the significance of the resulting histogram.

that's where the differences can be seen.

nospam
if you do the same for jpeg, you will also not see a difference, and if you subtract, you'll also see all black. therefore, a jpeg should be equivalent to an original raw.

Eric Stevens
That is squiffy logic and it's not even a good parody of what I did.

nospam
it's *exactly* the same logic.

you're position is if you can't see it then there is no difference.

Eric Stevens
Rubbish. My position is that even if there is a difference, the difference doesn't matter if you can't see it.

that may be true now, but what if somewhere down the line you want to do further processing? you now have a degraded image.

that's why people shoot and edit raw, because even though you can't see a difference with jpeg, it makes a difference.

nospam
the reality is that there *is* a difference. you might not consider the difference to be significant (and indeed it is is very small), but there *is* a difference, therefore it is *not* lossless.

bottom line: rgb->lab->rgb offers no benefit (other than possibly contrived edge cases nobody will ever encounter).

Eric Stevens
You have backed off considerably from your original opinion on this matter.

nospam
no i haven't at *all*.

stop lying about what i say.

Eric Stevens
Don't be such an overly sensitive git. I said nothing specific about what you said. I said that you have backed off considerably from your original opinion in this matter. That is nothing that you said. It is something that *I* said.

i have not backed off at all. i have always said it's a lossy process.

you saying i have backed off is a lie.

I've done considerable reading about this matter since you raised it and I now have a much better understanding about where the problems might lie. The conversion to and from say RGB to Lab and vice versa can be lossy,

is lossy.

but so too can the conversions from (say) ProPhotoRGB to aRGB, from aRGB to sRGB and vice versa.

yes, and?

Also, to or from any of these to CMYK. The problem is not the colour system but the colour space used by that system. You can see that that is really the problem when you read the discussion cited by nospam.

you cited it.

(Any) RGB to Lab is not a problem as Lab has an enormously wide gamut, way into the regions of imaginary colours. But it's very easy to create colours in Lab for which there is no place in any system using RGB. Now that is where things can get lost.

that's a different issue.