Re: Lenses and sharpening

Sandman
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
Message-ID<slrnm204sj.671.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <6rrv1a9nc01dbm9tlgpjk5k0rf5fa2nrqq@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens
But it's not the same as the file you would - say - send to a printer.

Sandman
It could be, sure. It's an ordinary JPG, and most printer drivers can handle them just fine. Again, you don't know what you're talking about.

Eric Stevens
I would send my best file to the printer, not a highly reduced JPG.

Sandman
They're not highly reduced, Eric. You are confused.

Eric Stevens
I have looked at the actual file sizes. I *know* they are reduced.

Sandman
They're not reduced. You are looking at standard previews of images you haven't worked with, since you're not a LR user. As I've said many times, every single image you're working with has a 1:1 preview.

Eric Stevens
You actually have several times said variations of "every single image you have worked with" - past tense. That's why I selected examples from a part of my catalogue that I have not touched.

Sandman
Yes, so you haven't worked with them, and thus they don't have 1:1 previews, what's so confusing with that?

Eric Stevens
Nothing, now you have amplified your original statement.

No, it's been my statement all along:

Sandman Re: Lenses and sharpening 09/20/2014 <slrnm1qrc7.inb.mr@irc.sandman.net>

"Every single file you work with in LR has a 1:1 preview file."

Now you are telling me that LR prepares previews of reduced size/quality, presumably in the expectation that that this is what I will want.

Sandman
I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

Eric Stevens
Simply because I haven't been able to find an explanation anywhere.

I've explained it to you many times. Read the Adobe documentation if you want substantiation, I can link you to the pertinent parts.

Sandman
Upon import, LR will create standard previews to the preffered size of all images it imports. Default size is 1440.

When you open any of these in the develop module (i.e. work with it) LR creates a 1:1 preview, that's why opening it in the develop module can take a second if you have a high resolution camera.

Even if you're in the library module and zoom in to 100% on a photo, LR will render a 1:1 preview.

Eric Stevens
How does it handle RAW files?

Huh? What do you mean? The preview files are processed from the RAW files, naturally.

-- Sandman[.net]