Re: Lenses and sharpening

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromEric Stevens
Date09/22/2014 11:42 (09/22/2014 21:42)
Message-ID<pkrv1a16vigvjq9ac12flu81qr3am1i4vp@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (2h & 22m)

On 22 Sep 2014 07:05:43 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <padu1al7jm5lddeo1ihtd77ksbrt1gboaq@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens
They clearly can't contain as much data or be reconstructed to form a final export image.

Sandman
Depends on whether or not you're exporting a full resolution image, Eric. Just as I said.

Eric Stevens
You are suggesting that files exported from LR are based on a degraded (i.e. downsized) version of the original file. I very much doubt that that is the case.

Sandman
I have suggested no such thing, Eric. You would know that if you knew how to read and comprehend English.

Eric Stevens
Once you look at the actual file sizes I think you will have to conclude that I am correct.

Sandman
Of course not, since you're not correct. As I said - every single image you work with in Lightroom has a 1:1 preview file created for it. Every single one. You can select when those 1:! files should expire and be purged, but if you've worked with it, or even vviewed it in the develop module there exists a 1:1 preview of the file.

You know nothing about these things, Eric, stop making claims about an application you don't use.

Eric Stevens
Why did you delete my table showing that LR catalogue files are smaller than the original image?

Sandman
Because it was irrelevant to the topic. I've repeatedly said that LR renders 1:1 previews for all files *you work with* and that you can set those previews to expire (default they expire after 30 days).

You then paste in informatiom about images you *haven't* worked with, and even if you did, was so long ago that the 1:1 previews has been purged. It was irrelevant.

Now you tell me.

Eric Stevens
Is it because it makes it easier for you to deal with what I have just told you?

Sandman
I am staying with the facts, Eric.

Eric Stevens
Why do you think I don't use the application when I have got catalogue files?

Sandman
Your ignorance about the application is due to not having used it. Opened it once a couple of years ago doesn't really qualify.

I agree I haven't used it much. I'm still ploughing through PS. But I have used LR a little. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Sandman (2h & 22m)