Re: Lenses and sharpening

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromEric Stevens
Date09/21/2014 04:29 (09/21/2014 14:29)
Message-ID<qsds1adqacg7qdfql00r3m9mj2q7h7fjof@4ax.com>
FollowsSavageduck

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 17:55:02 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-09-20 22:55:48 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 02:19:41 -0800, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-09-20 05:01:11 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:51:48 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

Savageduck
<< Le Snip >>

Eric Stevens
But you have turned your face away from what he was trying to say ...

nospam
nope. if there's anyone who has turned their faces it's you and floyd.

Eric Stevens
Sigh ...

Savageduck
The one thing which is quite obvious is Floyd's arrogant denigration of anybody who disagrees with him, interprets what he says literally, or fails to discern what it is he actually means from his arcane diatribes. He dismisses software and technics he does & won't use as some sort of lesser species.

No wonder he has to live where he does, and I am sure that he is the most respected and sought out technical blabber mouth in Barrow.

There are other folks who question Floyd's credentials and some of the stuff he says.

This was a discussion which when it came up in rec.photo.digital fell apart quite quickly when Floyd told Tony Cooper he was wrong regarding "Street Photography". It seems he also tried to fly his concept in dpreview forums. <http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50358552>

Eric Stevens
Here is the criticism:

"Here's an interesting bit of Street Photography. No people, no pavement, no city. An empty truck parked on an unmaintained gravel "road". The nearest concrete sidewalk is 500 miles south. A paradise to some, while others say it is desolation.

http://apaflo.com/street/d8a_2303.s.jpg

I know of no street photographer who would not call this statement delusional."

Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography "Street photography is photography that features the human condition within public places and does not necessitate the presence of a street or even the urban environment. The subject of the photograph might be absent of people and can be an object or environment where the image projects a decidedly human character in facsimile or aesthetic."

By that definition, Floyd is correct in calling that street photography.

--- snip ---

Savageduck
...and yet there are those, many of whom engage in street photography, who disagree with Floyd. How dare they!

They are entitled to. 'Street photography' is not rigorously defined in the way 'full reversible' is defined in physics.

BTW: I think it made a nice surreal image.

Stark. Bare. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens