Re: Lenses and sharpening

Savageduck
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromSavageduck
Date09/20/2014 07:18 (09/19/2014 22:18)
Message-ID<2014091922180019821-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
Followsnospam
Followupsnospam (2m)
Savageduck (6m)

On 2014-09-20 03:51:46 +0000, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>said:

nospam
In article <s0qp1adosbs2srb293smuem1f5cnml763b@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Sandman
It could be, sure. It's an ordinary JPG, and most printer drivers can handle them just fine. Again, you don't know what you're talking about.

Eric Stevens
I would send my best file to the printer, not a highly reduced JPG.

nospam
why would you be sending a highly reduced jpeg?

Sandman
The *only* point Lightroom loads the original file and applies the rendering chain in RAM is when you're viewing an image in 100% zoom.

Eric Stevens
Or when you export the image.

Sandman
Depends on how you export it. If you export it as a low-res highly compressed JPG, it can use the preview file. Chances are that it doesn't, but it certainly could, since the preview file *is* the current pixel data of the image.

Eric Stevens
So what happens when you want a high quality TIFF of the same size as the original file? Do you expand by resampling your low-res highly compressed JPG?

nospam
questions like this mean you don't understand how it works.

it *always* uses the original data. the cached previews are a speed optimization for the user interface.

That is how Lightroom Mobile works. It syncs *Smart Previews* in *Smart Collections* from LR5 to LR-M. Any edits, crops, ratings, etc., made in LR-M are synced back to the corresponding LR-M *Smart Collection*. All of those edits are made to previews, as the just isn't room for full size files in the Mobile devices. I have a 64GB iPad2 & a 32GB iPhone 5S. Currently Lightroom Mobile is using 267 MB with 5 Collections & 219 images, all as previews which are quite presentable on the iPad. This makes for a decent portable portfolio where each image retains all the iOS sharing options without the memory load on the iDevice Photos catalog. It always refers back to the original in LR5.

Note: Since all of this is CC managed a CC subscription is required if you are going to run Lightroom Mobile on your iPad/iPhone.

-- Regards,

Savageduck