Re: Lenses and sharpening

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromEric Stevens
Date09/20/2014 04:34 (09/20/2014 14:34)
Message-ID<dopp1ap2vk1a7r1fq74v722vepq32tu4t4@4ax.com>
Followsnospam

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:32:35 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

nospam
In article <1bhp1a9t7296qfn858npvei673csf7sagj@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

it is not a pixel editor.

Sandman
Sure it is, only in another sense than old Photoshop. Every single adjustment you make in LR are applied to the pixels and saved to disk as a preview image. Difference is that the original file is always kept intact so every step is fully reversible.

Eric Stevens
It's not made to the original image: it's made to what I have described as a (reduced size) simulacrum of the original image.

nospam
it's *always* rendered from the original image data.

Sandman
In fact - using smart filters in Photoshop is *less* of a pixel editor than LR these days, because the pixels are never touched, it's all kept in RAM and the resulting image is never saved to disk until you export/save it. Also, fully reversible of course. :)

Eric Stevens
With few exceptions, once you have made the changes and saved/exported the image, you cannot reverse the changes *in*the*exported/saved*image*.

nospam
nobody said that could be done.

That's important to a rational understanding of the role of a fully reversible process. The exceptions I referred to above are the few editing functions which are fully reversible e.g. Gaussian blur and HPM. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens