Re: Lenses and sharpening

Floyd L. Davidson
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromFloyd L. Davidson
Date09/20/2014 03:27 (09/19/2014 17:27)
Message-ID<87oaubrsi2.fld@barrow.com>
Followsnospam
Followupsnospam (21m) > Floyd L. Davidson

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>wrote:

nospam
In article <87wq8zrug3.fld@barrow.com>, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@apaflo.com>wrote:

however, if you change the ppi the print will be different.

Floyd L. Davidson
Changing the PPI tag in the image file is *not* what changes the print.

nospam
yes it does.

Floyd L. Davidson
Poor nospam. We can post 30 different identical copies of an image file, with only the PPI tag being different. Anything from 7 to 7000 will do. When loaded into an editor... the image data will be exactly the same for every one of them.

nospam
that's what i said originally, then you said ppi applies to displays. now you say it doesn't. hilarious.

Floyd L. Davidson
You are the only one claiming that, not me. You obviously haven't got a clue!

nospam
then someone pretending to be you did:

What I said. You are the fool who makes up the above interpetation.

When loaded into an editor the image data *will* be exactly the same regardless of what the PPI tag is set to.

The data is not changed in the editor, but it is changed in the device driver for either a printer or a monitor. The PPI used is not that of the Exif tag, it is the PPI that the device works at.

In article <87vbojttf4.fld@barrow.com>, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@apaflo.com>wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson
Until you print... or display an image on a monitor screen. Same thing, and a different value for DPI/PPI.

Each and every monitor operates at a given PPI. So does each and every printer.

nospam
correct, however display ppi is no longer relevant since modern operating systems no longer map it 1:1.

I'm not sure what nonsense you mean by that. The monitor uses a specific PPI. The data sent to it *is* displayed at the PPI. If it isn't mapped at 1:1, you get a really odd looking screen!

Floyd L. Davidson
The tag in the image file,

1) has no effect at all on the monitor, and

nospam
correct.

Floyd L. Davidson
2) has no effect at all on the printer, and

nospam
depends on software used to print.

Incorrect. The printer can only print at 1 set PPI value.

Floyd L. Davidson
3) has no effect at all on the editor, and

nospam
depends on software used to edit.

No, the data is not changed as it is loaded. You can edit it, and you can resample it. But that is not caused by the PPI tag.

Floyd L. Davidson
4) has no effect at all on the image.

nospam
correct.

So why claim that it does? Or are you claiming the monitor or the printer will change to match the data??? Absurb.

Floyd L. Davidson
Because chaning the PPI tage in the image file does nothing.

nospam
it does when printing, which is what i said.

Floyd L. Davidson
It doesn't do a thing.

nospam
it does.

It can't.

Floyd L. Davidson
Set the Exif tag to 72, 360, 720, or 7200 and then tell the print driver to make an 8x10 print. It will, but it will run at it's own PPI rate, not the one set in the Exif tag.

nospam
setting the image ppi to 7200 results in a print that's 1/10th as big as if it was 72. or to put it another way, printing at 1/10th the size sets the ppi 100x higher than it was before.

It does not such thing. Try it and find out.

once again, you aren't using the software other people are using, yet you tell them how it works. that's really fucked up.

You don't even know what the software you are using is doing.

-- Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/ Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com