Re: Lenses and sharpening

PeterN
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromPeterN
Date09/19/2014 15:26 (09/19/2014 09:26)
Message-ID<lvharh060h@news4.newsguy.com>
FollowsEric Stevens
Followupsnospam (3h & 24m) > PeterN

On 9/18/2014 6:48 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens
On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:17:42 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

nospam
In article <2014091811153644303-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

PeterN
I have found that using high pass on the luminiscence layer in LAB tends to minimize halos.

Savageduck
Actually it is a good idea to do any/all/most sharpening on a luminosity layer, LAB or not.

nospam
not always, since the conversion to lab and back is not lossless.

Eric Stevens
Not strictly correct:

https://www.ledet.com/margulis/ACT_postings/ColorCorrection/ACT-LAB-damage.htm

">I have always thought that moving from either CMYK or RGB to Lab

nospam
and back was a damage free process, that is, you would end up with the same color co-ordinates when you arrived back from Lab mode.

Eric Stevens
"RGB>LAB>RGB is damage free, but CMYK>LAB>CMYK is not. The damage isn't all that great, so in many images it pays to come out of CMYK so as to take advantage of LAB's strengths; sharpening, however, is not one of these cases. .... Dan Margulis"

But you sould know that nosense knows much more than Dan Margulies.

-- PeterN

nospam (3h & 24m) > PeterN