Re: Lenses and sharpening

Whisky-dave
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromWhisky-dave
Date09/19/2014 15:02 (09/19/2014 06:02)
Message-ID<bc792678-99f5-4416-8002-0d75afbeadf2@googlegroups.com>
FollowupsSandman (1h & 33m) > Whisky-dave
nospam (3h & 48m)

On Friday, 19 September 2014 13:05:01 UTC+1, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
That's what I just said. All adjustments you do are always done to the pixels of a preview file on disk. Exporting is not a paremeter. The original file is always left untouched.

Do you happen to know whether or not this preview file is a copy of the original file but 'rendered' at 72DPI rather than the final copy which is mostly likely to be 300+ DPI for printing ? A little like doing a preview of soemthing you want to scan.

As I think this is how early FCP worked and lightwave4

And would this preview file be differnt (differnt DPI) if you were using a retina or 4K/8K screen.

The preview file is exactly like the would-be exported JPG file. It's the same. Nothing is different.

if it's not differnt in anyway from a final output then why preview comes to mind.

Eric Stevens
But it's not the same as the file you would - say - send to a printer.

Sandman
It could be, sure. It's an ordinary JPG, and most printer drivers can handle them just fine. Again, you don't know what you're talking about.

I find this bit confusing if you're say the preview file is the same as the final export file, but perhaps that.s not what's meant.

Sandman (1h & 33m) > Whisky-dave
nospam (3h & 48m)