Re: Lenses and sharpening

nospam
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
Fromnospam
Date09/19/2014 01:14 (09/18/2014 19:14)
Message-ID<180920141914580713%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsEric Stevens (3h & 54m) > nospam
Eric Stevens (15d, 4h & 14m) > nospam

In article <msnm1apks9sfgojeq8tkvtm8tddjleastm@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

PeterN
I have found that using high pass on the luminiscence layer in LAB tends to minimize halos.

Savageduck
Actually it is a good idea to do any/all/most sharpening on a luminosity layer, LAB or not.

nospam
not always, since the conversion to lab and back is not lossless.

Eric Stevens
Not strictly correct:

it is completely correct.

we went through this about six months ago, and apparently will again.

https://www.ledet.com/margulis/ACT_postings/ColorCorrection/ACT-LAB-damage.htm

">I have always thought that moving from either CMYK or RGB to Lab

nospam
and back was a damage free process, that is, you would end up with the same color co-ordinates when you arrived back from Lab mode.

Eric Stevens
"RGB>LAB>RGB is damage free, but CMYK>LAB>CMYK is not. The damage isn't all that great, so in many images it pays to come out of CMYK so as to take advantage of LAB's strengths; sharpening, however, is not one of these cases. .... Dan Margulis"

you clearly don't understand what you're reading, since that link agrees with what i said!

as the other posts in your link clearly show, dan margulis is wrong (as he is about a lot of things).

read the *very* next post, from chris murphy,

Converting to and from Lab has never been a damage free process.

and the one after that,

RGB>LAB>RGB is damage free, but CMYK>LAB>CMYK is not.

I disagree. If you start out with all of the same spaces for RGB and CMYK, and use only those spaces - then convert to and from Lab, you will get some quantization errors with both.

and andrew rodney's post:

RGB>LAB>RGB is damage free

You1re not serious are you Dan? Take an RGB file. Duplicate it. Do an RGB to LAB to RGB conversion and subtract the two. You can turn on or off the 8 bit dither. When you subtract the two and create a new document and look at the Histogram in Levels, you will see there certainly is data loss and a change. Move the sliders of the Levels Histogram over and you1ll see the effects of what differences between the two files you produced. Are you saying this isn1t data loss?

that test is trivial to do. try it yourself.