Re: Lenses and sharpening

Savageduck
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromSavageduck
Date09/18/2014 04:20 (09/17/2014 19:20)
Message-ID<20140917192002703-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsEric Stevens
Followupsnospam (27m)
Floyd L. Davidson (1h & 57m) > Savageduck
Eric Stevens (2h & 45m) > Savageduck

On 2014-09-18 01:00:46 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 06:05:14 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-09-17 09:22:00 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 22:27:43 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-09-17 04:08:19 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:53:15 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-09-16 10:36:29 +0000, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) said:

Eric Stevens
--- snip ---

Savageduck
The reverse process performed on a lossy, compressed JPEG is not going to reverse the HPF to return to the original state. That was lost once the save was executed.

Eric Stevens
That's why I never included a conversion to JPG in my example of a reversible process.

Savageduck
Â…but that genius Floyd did.

Eric Stevens
--- snip ---

No one who understood what we were trying to talk about would claim that a JPG conversion is a reversible process.

Savageduck
Â…but that genius Floyd did.

Eric Stevens
I've had a look and I cant see where. Could you refer me to the message?

With pleasure.

That wasn’t too tough to find: Posted: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:44:18 -0500 Message ID: <8738bs2076.fld@barrow.com>

Wherein Floyd stated the following:

“A non-destructive workflow means you can *undo* and then *redo*.

That is not a reversible function.

For example, you can add sharpening with a high pass sharpen tool to an image, save it as a JPEG, send it to someone else, and they can use a blur tool to reverse the sharpen.

If the sharpening is done with UnsharpMask that cannot be done. USM is not reversible.”

Note, the words, “save it as a JPEG,”.

As I said, that genius Floyd did.

-- Regards,

Savageduck