Re: Lenses and sharpening

PeterN
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromPeterN
Date09/17/2014 22:18 (09/17/2014 16:18)
Message-ID<lvcq8c02p8@news3.newsguy.com>
FollowsSavageduck

On 9/17/2014 1:04 AM, Savageduck wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-09-17 01:03:35 +0000, PeterN <peter@verizon.net>said:

PeterN
On 9/16/2014 4:36 PM, nospam wrote:

nospam
In article <lv9k2601ign@news3.newsguy.com>, PeterN <peter@verizon.net> wrote:

Savageduck
All adjustments made to *Smart Objects*, in Photoshop terms, are non-destructive.

nospam
true, but i was thinking of lightroom where no additional steps are required because everything is non-destructive.

with photoshop, the user has to take additional steps to be non-destructive.

PeterN
The additional step is one click to open all objects in PS as a smart object.

nospam
not always.

PeterN
When opening a RAW ifile in PS from ACR, when wouldn't that work?

Savageduck
Easily done. Just remember that any content aware fill or editing cannot be done on an SO. So do the spot removal in ACR.

Open as *Smart Object* after making ACR adjustments, you can always double click on that SO background layer to return to ACR and readjust. Make adjustments to taste, and save layered PSD One caveat when it comes to sharing the layered file, it is huge because of the layers. The example PSD below runs 800+MB so I won't be posting that here,unless there are individual request for email link delivery.

So I end up with this in PS. <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_905.jpg> and a PSD with Smart Objects and all adjustments intact ready for any revision, saved to its very own CC folder, or wherever you want it. <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_907.jpg>

Since you are not using Lightroom, to get a JPEG go to File->Save for Web. configure the JPEG dimensions, compression, etc. and Save. That is simple enough, and the working files remain intact in PS. <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_906.jpg>

That results in a JPEG and I can still return to the layered JPEG to produce a different version just by tweaking/reediting or removing layers. <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/_DNC6132-SW-1.jpg>

All very true. And I personally do not use smart objects. But my question to nosense was not answered.

-- PeterN