Re: Lenses and sharpening

Savageduck
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromSavageduck
Date09/16/2014 18:03 (09/16/2014 09:03)
Message-ID<2014091609034023400-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsPeterN

On 2014-09-16 15:21:10 +0000, PeterN <peter@verizon.net>said:

PeterN
On 9/15/2014 1:56 PM, Savageduck wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-09-15 17:32:07 +0000, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>said:

nospam
In article <2014091510153710516-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson
UnSharpMask is not reversible.

nospam
it is with a non-destructive workflow.

Floyd L. Davidson
I'm sorry that you don't understand the meaning of that.

Savageduck
I know your feelings regarding Photoshop, but using Adobe's *Smart Object* concept provides a different level of non-destructive workflow. Creating a new adjustment layer and converting it to a *Smart Object* gives one the ability to apply any filter, including USM and any of the other sharpening tools or filters to that *Smart Object*. If the particular adjustment results are not to one's liking, then double clicking on that filter in the *Smart Object* layer will reopen the filter dialog to allow changes to the filter parameters. In the case shown below I have applied USM to a *Smart Object* and I can return to it as often as I want to adjust the USM parameters, all non-destructively. <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_900.jpg>

All adjustments made to *Smart Objects*, in Photoshop terms, are non-destructive.

nospam
true, but i was thinking of lightroom where no additional steps are required because everything is non-destructive.

Savageduck
These days with my LR+PS workflow many of my images make a round trip from LR to PS and back to LR have all the layers retained. If I need a JPEG I use the LR export dialog.

PeterN
It is so easy just to do a save as jpeg, diretly from PS. Then the image goes back to what it was before the "save as."

Not quite. If you have been working on a 16-bit NEF using an ACR+PS workflow you are not going to be able to save that JPEG and maintain a non-destructive workflow. First you have to convert to 8-Bit, then you merge any adjustment layers and set any *Smart Objects* before making that “save as”. It does not go back to what you had before the “save as”. The only way you could retain what was there before the “save as” would be to go to “History” and “Create a new document from the current state” in a new tab. Merge the layers, convert to 8-bit, and save that as a JPEG. then you can close it and still have your working window open. That you can save as a layered PSD/TIF (do not merge) to retain the non-destructive qualities. The JPEG is a snapshot of the current state, and should just be considered a “version”.

I don’t save JPEGS back to LR, only PSDs & TIFs. If I want/need a JPEG I just use the LR export dialog which handle resizing compression quality, and export file format. I have several LR export presets setting size and save location including specific Dropbox folders. That save many headaches. I can either go to the export dialog. <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_903.jpg> or directly to a preset from the pop-up menu after right clicking. <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_902.jpg>

Savageduck
Yup! That is quite a different non-destructive process which quite a few here have yet to grasp even though they own LR.

PeterN
Guilty! Still learning it. Haben't really used it yet.

Take the time to do that, you will be pleasantly surprised.

-- Regards,

Savageduck