Re: Lenses and sharpening

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromEric Stevens
Date09/16/2014 00:33 (09/16/2014 10:33)
Message-ID<h2qe1at234ulkvm6u2bvbael7k3iht3vrm@4ax.com>
FollowsSavageduck
FollowupsSavageduck (36m) > Eric Stevens
nospam (2h & 21m) > Eric Stevens

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:15:37 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-09-15 16:39:45 +0000, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) said:

Floyd L. Davidson
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>wrote:

nospam
In article <87bnqh1mby.fld@barrow.com>, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@apaflo.com>wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson
UnSharpMask is not reversible.

nospam
it is with a non-destructive workflow.

Floyd L. Davidson
I'm sorry that you don't understand the meaning of that.

Savageduck
I know your feelings regarding Photoshop, but using Adobe's *Smart Object* concept provides a different level of non-destructive workflow. Creating a new adjustment layer and converting it to a *Smart Object* gives one the ability to apply any filter, including USM and any of the other sharpening tools or filters to that *Smart Object*. If the particular adjustment results are not to one's liking, then double clicking on that filter in the *Smart Object* layer will reopen the filter dialog to allow changes to the filter parameters. In the case shown below I have applied USM to a *Smart Object* and I can return to it as often as I want to adjust the USM parameters, all non-destructively. <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_900.jpg>

All adjustments made to *Smart Objects*, in Photoshop terms, are non-destructive.

I fully expect you to tell me I am wrong.

I will tell you that you are discussing a point which is not the point raised by Floyd. So too is nospam, but that is not surprising.

Floyd was referring to a reversible function: run it forwards and you get sharpening; run it backwards and you get blur. Or the other way around if you wish. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens