Re: Lenses and sharpening

Martin Brown
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromMartin Brown
Date09/15/2014 12:32 (09/15/2014 11:32)
Message-ID<rfzRv.307244$KL.89034@fx19.am4>
FollowsAlfred Molon

On 14/09/2014 08:30, Alfred Molon wrote:

Alfred Molon
In article <2014091316132932858-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck says...

Savageduck
...and what PP software, & what sharpening methods do you use? I am not going to advocate one application, or method over the other, I know what advice I can give with what I am familiar with in my workflow.

Alfred Molon
Isn't unsharp mask the same across all PP applications? I would have thought it's an algorithm which is implemented in various PP applications, or are there differences?

Unsharp mask historically was implemented by physical means to allow very high contrast images to be more satisfactorily be represented on printed media. It got adopted by David Mailn of the AAT to bring out faint low contrast details in nebulae that would otherwise be invisible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Malin

And from there it entered mainstream digital image processing.

It was in use for advertising purposes for quite a while prior to that.

The details of most algorithms are roughly similar but how they handle underflow and overflow of pixel values may vary with implementation.

-- Regards, Martin Brown