Re: Lenses and sharpening

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromEric Stevens
Date09/14/2014 23:06 (09/15/2014 09:06)
Message-ID<ci0c1a9bp6ef7pskrhog3kt0sh9p8b2cqh@4ax.com>
FollowsAlfred Molon
FollowupsEric Stevens (5h)

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 09:33:29 +0200, Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>wrote:

Alfred Molon
In article <87fvfv19d5.fld@barrow.com>, Floyd L. Davidson says...

Floyd L. Davidson
Any good optical engineer could work it out, given the right equipment and a fairly fat check.

That's not a likely route for any but the most serious and well healed.

Alfred Molon
I'm wondering if the lens manufacturer could measure the point spread function for its lenses and provide this information to image processing applications, so that these could calculate the optimal sharpening function.

In other words, software would compensate (at least partially) for the weaknesses of a lens, as it is being done with vignetting or geometric distortions in cameras.

I suspect that DxO does something like this: otherwise they could operate ytheir 'Lens Sharpness' control of which they say:

"Lens softness compensates for the difference in sharpness between the the center of the image, which is always better, and the edges, where it is softer". --

Regards,

Eric Stevens