Re: Lenses and sharpening

Savageduck
SubjectRe: Lenses and sharpening
FromSavageduck
Date09/14/2014 01:13 (09/13/2014 16:13)
Message-ID<2014091316132932858-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsAlfred Molon
FollowupsAlfred Molon (8h & 17m)

On 2014-09-13 20:18:05 +0000, Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>said:

Alfred Molon
In article <2014091300481511547-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck says...

Savageduck
First are we talking sharpening in general, sharpening to overcome softness due to exposure settings, or issues with a particular lens?

Alfred Molon
Over- or underexposure do not cause softness.

Agreed. However, aperture setting can play a part, and shutter speed can play a part when it comes to shake or motion blur.

This can come from incorrect focus, a soft lens or camera shake.

Characteristics of a particular lens exhibiting softness is one thing, chronic OoF issues another. First eliminate situational, shooter error for any particular images. If this is an issue unique to a particular lens, it might be time to find out what others have experienced with that lens/camera combination, and what if any solutions they were able to reach. Who knows, perhaps a lens focus calibration is in order.

Camera shake is quite obvious is something else all together, and I wouldn't describe that particular aberration as "softness". One of the most common causes of shake beyond the shooter's ability to hold steady, is gusty wind.

Depending on the tools you have handy for post, some camera shake can be neutralized. In PS there is the *Shake Reduction* filter, which with the right image can improve things, but it doesn't always do the trick, and takes a little practice to get right. Other software might have some equivalent motion blur correction ability.

Savageduck
Next, if it is a particular lens which lens? If you are talking about the 70-300mm, what brand and model, and mounted on which camera?

Is the softness you are experiencing over the entire image, or edge softness?

What post processing tools/software are you using?

Are these RAW image files or JPEG?

When in your workflow do you usually apply any particular sharpening method?

Alfred Molon
The files usually are RAW. I don't have ready made examples. It's just something I have observed over time, that sometimes image softness can be very effectively eliminated with some sharpening, sometimes not.

...and what PP software, & what sharpening methods do you use? I am not going to advocate one application, or method over the other, I know what advice I can give with what I am familiar with in my workflow.

Also when there is no obvious OoF issue, and depending on the software you are using, the softness issue can be ameliorated, or even taken advantage of in post.

-- Regards,

Savageduck

Alfred Molon (8h & 17m)