Re: Google Copying Apple......

Snit
SubjectRe: Google Copying Apple.....Almost as bad as Samsung
Message-ID<CFD719AF.3A7E3%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
FollowsPuffin Killer
FollowupsPuffin Killer (1h & 32m) > Snit

On 6/28/14, 5:21 PM, in article lonm6u$7s9$1@dont-email.me, "Puffin Killer" <puffythekiller@telus.net>wrote:

Puffin Killer
Not necessarily an advantage if the larger screen pulls more power. And, the screen size is not the only piece of geometry that determines battery size. Try thickness too.

All true, but...

In general, a screen's consumption will go up in proportion to its area,

Snit
Sounds reasonable Cite?

Well, it is not really the "area", it is the number of pixels (though I suppose the size might also matter for the backlighting, etc., but here is one article that discussed it: <http://goo.gl/TSwrzJ>.

Puffin Killer
Sounds reasonable. But more empirical data is needed.

Snit
Not sure of a specific formula, but higher resolution screens take more power (all else being equal).

Puffin Killer
Yes, your link says that also.

I think it is pretty much common knowledge that more resolution = higher power usage (all else being equal, of course... a 10 year old CRT compared to a modern screen would have a lot of other variables!)

and then the larger you make the device, the greater its battery life will be overall

Snit
Are you claiming the same size battery will last longer with a larger screen?

I quote you: "if you hold the other components constant (CPU, etc),"

More likely: the larger the device the larger the battery can be.

Puffin Killer
Agreed. However, he didn't say that. He stated; "if you hold the other components constant (CPU, etc),"

Fair enough... he should clarify but what I wrote is what I would assume he meant. Better to get it from the source.

His statement was also in error as the article; shows: "a GPU has to work harder at higher resolutions, reflected in a power measurement. This is just as applicable on a tablet employing embedded graphics."

Embedded graphics... as opposed to free-floating ones? Or just not a separate card?

To sum up; he was dead wrong on two points, and it was "inconclusive" on one.

No too good.

BTW: Good link.

snip NA

-- * Mint MATE: Trash, Panel, Menu: <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE> * Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? <http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA> * Mint KDE working with folders: <http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0> * Mint KDE creating files: <http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8> * Mint KDE help: <http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8> * Mint KDE general navigation: <http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI> * Mint / LibreOffice: <http://youtu.be/USU9iqppfto> * Win 8 / Word 2013: <http://youtu.be/z8gUL2TCcV4> * Mavericks / Pages 5.1: <http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk>

Puffin Killer (1h & 32m) > Snit