Re: Google Copying Apple......

Lloyd E Parsons
SubjectRe: Google Copying Apple.....Almost as bad as Samsung
FromLloyd E Parsons
Date06/29/2014 18:40 (06/29/2014 11:40)
Message-ID<c1atrbF1r7mU1@mid.individual.net>
FollowsHarry Mudd the Anti-Fanboy
FollowupsHarry Mudd the Anti-Fanboy (12m) > Lloyd E Parsons

On 2014-06-29 16:33:37 +0000, Harry Mudd the Anti-Fanboy said:

Harry Mudd the Anti-Fanboy

Gary

On 2014-06-29 15:54:44 +0000, Harry Mudd the Anti-Fanboy said:

On 6/29/2014 11:40 AM, Harry Mudd the Anti-Fanboy wrote:

On 6/29/2014 11:15 AM, KDT wrote:

So what do you call the Note 8? Why is it a phablet and an iPad Mini with cellular running a VoIP app not one?

Because the mini is a tablet first, and a phone second with a VOIP app, unlike the "ph" which comes first before "ablet" as with actual phablets. 'Phablet' is a label for a particular size range/form factor that the mini just doesn't fit into, period.

I should clarify: "ph" which comes first (just as phablets are phones first before ) before "ablet"(or as in a t"ablet" >second<) as with actual phablets. The phonetic construct of the word 'phablet' is unique to a particular form factor classs the mini does not fit into , no way, no how.

The ipdad with a VOIP app is little more than an also-ran phone.

Other than the size issue, that is just bullshit.

VOIP apps are just phone software to use your data (cell or home internet) instead of the cell voice signals. In all other ways it is just a phone that makes and receives calls and can do texts. So while from a practical standpoint it would be awkward to use a tablet, there is no difference in the end result of what a phone is all about.

Hell, the 'smartphone' you have is using an 'app' to interface you to the cell voice circuitry, just as a VOIP app is doing to use cell data to accomplish the same end result.

Dance around that a bit!! :)

You said it best -"other than the size issue". The point isn't whether an ipad with a VOIP app is or isn't a phone, obviously it is a phone. It's about whether or not it can rightly be called a

phablet<. The answer is patently "no" since the term is was

coninded with reference to a particular form factor/size class which the ipad mini doesn't fit into, period.

while I wouldn't use the iPad mini as a phone in most cases, it does fit in my cargo pants pocket just fine. So I guess I could call it a 'phat phablet'!! :)

Harry Mudd the Anti-Fanboy
I suppose so...:)

Gary
Actually I'm considering a new iPad with cell because of the GPS. As I get older the screen on the phone becomes more of an issue out on the golf course when I try to use the golf gps app I have on it. Strictly a reading thing.

Harry Mudd the Anti-Fanboy
I would never claim my Note 3 is an actual 'tablet' either if for no other reason than some things just aren't as easily viewable on it as with an actual tablet, no4r is the Note 3 as easily usable as a tablet.

The question that keeps me from pulling the

Gary
trigger is do I want a new Mini or a full size iPad. From purely using on the golf course, the mini makes more sense, but I tend to use a full size tablet everywhere else, hence the quandry....

Harry Mudd the Anti-Fanboy
I hear ya... I'm actually considering an 8" tablet myself. Being on dialysis 3 times a week, I watch Netflix on my Note 3 for 4 hours or so while I'm sitting in chair undergoing in-center dialysis treatments, or using groundhog to read Usenet newsgroups, but a tablet would be much better suited for this.

Sorry you're having to go through dialysis, that isn't pleasant at all. A late, very good friend of mine was on it 3 days a week and they wanted him to start doing 4 days. That's when he said to hell with it, it is time to check out. It took so much out of him that he couldn't do much of anything on the 3 day a week schedule, a 4th day would have meant his life was dialysis and recovering from it and nothing else.

An 8 or 10" tablet would be good for that situation and more pleasant to use I would imagine. To me the smaller sizes are more suitable for book reading and not a hell of a lot more.

-- Lloyd