Re: Google Copying Apple......

Snit
SubjectRe: Google Copying Apple.....Almost as bad as Samsung
Message-ID<CFD49D4A.39913%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
FollowsPuffin Killer
FollowupsPuffin Killer (55m) > Snit

On 6/28/14, 2:45 PM, in article lond1r$emi$1@dont-email.me, "Puffin Killer" <puffythekiller@telus.net>wrote:

Alan Baker
Not necessarily an advantage if the larger screen pulls more power. And, the screen size is not the only piece of geometry that determines battery size. Try thickness too.

All true, but...

In general, a screen's consumption will go up in proportion to its area,

Puffin Killer
Sounds reasonable Cite?

Well, it is not really the "area", it is the number of pixels (though I suppose the size might also matter for the backlighting, etc., but here is one article that discussed it: <http://goo.gl/TSwrzJ>.

Not sure of a specific formula, but higher resolution screens take more power (all else being equal).

Alan Baker
and then the larger you make the device, the greater its battery life will be overall

Puffin Killer
Are you claiming the same size battery will last longer with a larger screen?

I quote you: "if you hold the other components constant (CPU, etc),"

More likely: the larger the device the larger the battery can be.

Alan Baker
(imagine a phone with the same electronics except for a 3' diagonal screen).

Puffin Killer
So why aren't TV's made that way.

I ask these questions because I'm not an electronics expert, but today you are.

-- * Mint MATE: Trash, Panel, Menu: <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE> * Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? <http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA> * Mint KDE working with folders: <http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0> * Mint KDE creating files: <http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8> * Mint KDE help: <http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8> * Mint KDE general navigation: <http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI> * Mint / LibreOffice: <http://youtu.be/USU9iqppfto> * Win 8 / Word 2013: <http://youtu.be/z8gUL2TCcV4> * Mavericks / Pages 5.1: <http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk>