Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
Message-ID<slrnlkp612.1pk.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <dljok95r79afu0ttnuqbcss3mves5etdfd@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman
Imagine that list after someone switched to Lightroom - and all the things they're suddely doing quicker, ey?

Eric Stevens
But only after learning how to use light room.

Sandman
No, that's calculated in. I.e.even after including the time it takes "learned" Lightroom, you're still ahead in terms of efficiency.

Eric Stevens
I suppose that's true if you process your images while you learn.

Nope, even if it's a seperate process.

I was thinking of learning first and then processing your target images.

As was I:

Sandman
For the record - Lightroom is super easy to ue and learn. You can be up and running in five minutes and then learn new things while using it.

Eric Stevens
In the examples I quoted (which you snipped) very little new learning was required.

Sandman
Sure it was, you spoke about new versions of the operating system, that can require at least as much learning as Lightroom to use to its full extent.

Eric Stevens
The only occasions I can remember where I had to put some effort into learning the operating system was at my first contact with Windows 3 and later with NT4. The progress up the chain to W7 took relatively little efort.

Then I guess you haven't upgraded to Windows 8, which would be the contemporary version in this discussion. It requires some heavy duty rethinking in many areas.

It was old and familiar software, with a few new bells and whistles, riding on a faster horse.

Sandman
In what way is Windows 8 "old and familliar" to a Windows XP user?

Eric Stevens
I will tell you when I get W8. Are you implying that it is so considerably different I will have to start learning about it from the ground up? If it is like that it might be enough to drive me to OSX.

Windows 8 requires you to learn a whole lot of new things, yes. I won't be comparing it to anything specific, but there's a lot of new stuff and ways to do stuff in W8.

-- Sandman[.net]