Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

nospam
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
Fromnospam
Date04/13/2014 15:34 (04/13/2014 09:34)
Message-ID<130420140934395167%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <ucgjk9tui969rmlhkpl7fkld5pmvth7ne9@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

nospam
why buy a newer and faster computer? your old 486 could do things without any apparent difficulty.

Eric Stevens
Every computer upgrade I have made here at home has been forced by software and OS upgrades. The computer upgrade comes with the new territory.

Sandman
False logic. Why use new software and install OS upgrades when the old version could to things without any apparent difficulty?

Eric Stevens
It's not false logic. The newer software and accompanying hardware usually offers a significant speed increase.

which you said you don't need nor want, because the existing solution is working just fine.

My party-trick example is a large and complex 16 part Word Perfect document loaded with graphics. In the days when I was using NT4 I couldn't load and assemble the document in the 10 minute interval between automatic back ups. Now, with W7/64, an i7 processor and an obscene amount of ram it loads so quickly that the delay is almost undetectable.

In the same period Photopaint had to chop up any reasonable sized image into segments and process them separately before putting them back together as a complete output file. Just getting rid of the need for that step made image processing significantly faster.

it still does that internally.

Every time there has been an advance in the Windows operating system there has been a rush of software vendors to take advantage of it. The increased performance from the combination of a new OS and upgraded software has made its purchase a nobrainer for anyone whose ability to earn their living depends upon it.

which is the point i was making originally.

something new comes along, such as lightroom, which offers a productivity boost, so why not take full advantage of it?