Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
FromSavageduck
Date04/13/2014 14:17 (04/13/2014 05:17)
Message-ID<2014041305175576451-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsEric Stevens

On 2014-04-13 09:19:07 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 21:13:15 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-04-13 03:06:17 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On 13 Apr 2014 01:13:41 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <ucgjk9tui969rmlhkpl7fkld5pmvth7ne9@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

nospam
why buy a newer and faster computer? your old 486 could do things without any apparent difficulty.

Eric Stevens
Every computer upgrade I have made here at home has been forced by software and OS upgrades. The computer upgrade comes with the new territory.

Sandman
False logic. Why use new software and install OS upgrades when the old version could to things without any apparent difficulty?

Eric Stevens
It's not false logic. The newer software and accompanying hardware usually offers a significant speed increase.

Sandman
That's the point, isn't it? nospam is making that very point with LIghtroom - that it offers a signifcant speed increase to the workflow.

nospam "why spend more time than necessary doing something?"

You replied with:

Eric Stevens "Why learn a new way of doing something when you can laready do it without much apparent difficulty?"

So if your old operating system and old computer did stuff without "much apparant difficulty", why did uou update it? And your response: Because it offers a speed increase - which is *exactly* why nospam thinks one should use Lightroom

<snip examples of a faster computer doing things faster>

Imagine that list after someone switched to Lightroom - and all the things they're suddely doing quicker, ey?

Eric Stevens
But only after learning how to use light room. In the examples I quoted (which you snipped) very little new learning was required. It was old and familiar software, with a few new bells and whistles, riding on a faster horse.

I know light room is relatively simple to learn but you have to process a significant number of photographs to make the time saving (compared with whatever else it is you know) worth the effort.

Savageduck
Yup! Practice! Practice! Practice!

Here is a Lightroom 5 edit/adjust of one of my shots, no PS used, no plug-ins used just LR5. It is a 72MB mp4 which runs about 7 minutes. If you don't want to deal with that, then just ignore it. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/LR-Cisitalia-01.mp4 >

Eric Stevens
I'm glad you have got rain at last.

Those rain drops are just me revisiting the past (2010) to remind me of what it was like.

...but we had a few sprinklers of no real consequence 2-3 weeks ago. The lake level continues to drop, and our Community Services District has just imposed a whole bunch of water use restrictions triggered by a drought emergency declaration.

-- Regards,

Savageduck