Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Alan Browne
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
FromAlan Browne
Date04/11/2014 03:14 (04/10/2014 21:14)
Message-ID<vY-dnafXjKB43NrOnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d@giganews.com>
Followssid

On 2014.04.10, 17:22 , sid wrote:

sid
Alan Browne wrote:

Alan Browne
On 2014.04.09, 16:19 , sid wrote:

sid
All of this is pointless, I'm just trying to point out that your mac isn't some wonder machine that can do loads of things no one else can, it's just a computer and works like other computers. It's not magic.

What I said above

Alan Browne
No - but it is delivered with photographic workflow in mind - including in Finder.

sid
So what is delivered with a new Mac that is particularly with a photographic workflow in mind, that isn't delivered with other OS'

Alan Browne
Already described in part by nosapm. Others would include "Coverflow" (another thing in Finder for very rapidly looking at photos and docs).

Again - it's much easier to experience than to describe.

sid
Well my experience of OSX is different to yours. I have 3 close friends and 2 family members who use macs so I am not unfamiliar with it although I can only say I've dabbled a bit and I find it clunky and confusing. That's because I'm used to something else, it's not rocket science.

I've used Linux off and on since about 2000. While it has improved, I still find it clunky. Sorting out display issues in the past took a lot of effort. (Indeed, on this Mac no way to get it to use the entire screen width).

I am used to using linux, have been for more than 12 years, it's a piece of piss to install and set up, it's free and I can run it on any damn hardware I please, it's easy to maintain,it's secure, it's smooth and quick in operation and I can have any of the fancy desktop gizmos that the mac users seem to covet. What's not to like!

Spend a week with OS X and you'll come to the conclusion:

OS X: What Linux wants to be when it grows up.

BTW, OS X can run on a wide range of PC hardware - you need to choose some boards carefully, but it can be done (in violation of the OS X license).

Different to what we are used to does not equate to crap. We'd all be much more narked if there was no choice and we were all stuck with windows.

Indeed./

-- "Big data can reduce anything to a single number, but you shouldn’t be fooled by the appearance of exactitude." -Gary Marcus and Ernest Davis, NYT, 2014.04.07