Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
FromEric Stevens
Date04/11/2014 00:45 (04/11/2014 10:45)
Message-ID<mm7ek9ln1l294ooqv4mmqodciqvea5utj5@4ax.com>
FollowsWhisky-dave

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 06:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>wrote:

Whisky-dave
On Thursday, 10 April 2014 05:50:07 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens
On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 20:01:19 -0700, Savageduck

<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-04-10 01:40:07 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 16:56:13 -0700, Savageduck

<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
Not every process has to spelled out or every user. Particularly when the process in question does a pretty good job when used correctly.

Eric Stevens
It's not a question of whether or not a blandly named Adobe process does a good job. It's a question of whether or not I (the user) understand what it does so I know exactly what process I am applying to the image. Further, understanding what it does makes it easier for me to, as you say, apply it correctly.

Savageduck
You might like to know when and how to use sharpening in ACR/Camera RAW

filter(CRF) & LR5 including how to use masking in ACR/CRF & LR5.

You might like to know when and how to use the *Shake Reduction* filter

(also better used on a Smart Object adjustment layer).

Eric Stevens
You might remember I have already posted a before and after example of

the benefits of this on an image of Mosquito.

Savageduck
Yup! That I remember.

...and there are times High Pass Filter sharpening can be useful.

Eric Stevens
I'm a fan of High Pass sharpening. High Pass is one of the choices

offered in Nikon NX2.

Savageduck
...and is easily accessible in Photoshop to use on a plain vanilla

adjustment layer, or as a Smart Filter, on a Smart Object layer.

Filter->Other->High Pass

< https://db.tt/aLfpx57l >

Eric Stevens
I know that. But there is no mystery about what that function does:

it's built into the name.

Whisky-dave
Dam it, I'll have to turn the volume up next time I try it ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-pass_filter

I'm just getting the balance wired out of the circuit in my ancient Quad 405. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens