Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
FromEric Stevens
Date04/10/2014 03:40 (04/10/2014 13:40)
Message-ID<9tsbk9lp1af5cst74lup7lnus2rhq0pvs9@4ax.com>
FollowsSavageduck
FollowupsSavageduck (1h & 21m) > Eric Stevens
nospam (3d, 11h & 54m)

On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 16:56:13 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Eric Stevens
That I didn't know wavelets were already present in Photoshop is a consequence of their habit of giving names to features and functions which give no real guide as to what those features or functions might actually be doing. You will no doubt argue that this is OK as the average photoshop user will not be able to understand the mechanical workings of the software even if it is explained to them. They would rather know that such and such an effect can be achieved with the gizmo function and have no interest in knowing how it is done.

Savageduck
Exactly. That has been part of the point I have been attempting to make. Just because Adobe (and some others) have chosen not to give some features their geekiy and esoteric labels, doesn't mean they are not employed in their products.

Nor shouldyou take it for granted that they are present if there is no evidence of their presence.

Eric Stevens
Well that's not me. I've experimented in the past with multiple passes of unsharp mask sharpening at ever reducing margins and have been very pleased with the result. Doing this is somewhat laborious and I'm more than slightly pleased to know that PS has got it built in. I wonder what else I would like to know?

Savageduck
You might like to know when and how to use *Smart Sharpen* properly. (including the use of Smart Object layers which makes all the filter adjustments non-destructive with the ability to revisit.) When Smart Sharpen was first introduced it was an improvement over USM and the Smart Sharpen algorithm for PS CS6/CC is a complete revamp from that found in CS5.

Sure, 'smart sharpen' appears to be a very capable tool but when you don't know that it already incorporates wavelet sharpening there is no apparent reason why you should not seek further the benefits from wavelet sharpening.

You might like to know when and how to use sharpening in ACR/Camera RAW filter(CRF) & LR5 including how to use masking in ACR/CRF & LR5.

You might like to know when and how to use the *Shake Reduction* filter (also better used on a Smart Object adjustment layer).

You might remember I have already posted a before and after example of the benefits of this on an image of Mosquito.

...and there are time High Pass Filter sharpening can be useful.

I'm a fan of High Pass sharpening. High Pass is one of the choices offered in Nikon NX2.

Eric Stevens
In any case, thank you very much.

Savageduck
-- Regards,