Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
FromEric Stevens
Date04/10/2014 01:06 (04/10/2014 11:06)
Message-ID<skjbk9d6g8rev4ffp47a83pfmojnjfoblg@4ax.com>
Followsnospam
FollowupsSavageduck (50m) > Eric Stevens

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 09:07:58 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

nospam
In article <ov2ak9ppne5cdr3enes47u939rc44dsq1g@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Eric Stevens
I've been housebound for nearly 7 months and I have had plenty of time to explore the capabilities of PS (ever since I subscribed last November). I know what many of the various functions do, at least as well as Adobe will let me know. That includes the various sharpening functions. However, as far as I know, Photoshop has no plug in which will do wavelet sharpening (I could be wrong) but as I have recently posted Paint Shop Pro does. http://aftershotpro.com/plugins/index.html?plug=waveletsharpen3

There are other plugins for PSP for which, as far as I know, there are no equivalents in PS.

nospam
<http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~raananf/projects/eaw/> <http://6sightreport.com/2010/04/26/wavelets-sharpen-photoshop-images/>

Technology for ³Edge Avoiding Wavelets² is in the improved new Sharpen Tool in Photoshop CS5 and its ŒProtect Detail¹ feature ‹ technology licensed from Yissum Research Development in Jerusalem, Israel.

OK, it's there. But well hidden and with it's name disguised.

and for plug-ins, this goes back nearly 20 years, for photoshop 5 (not cs5): <http://cas.ensmp.fr/~chaplais/Photoshop_Wavelet_Workout/>

also: <http://www.topazlabs.com/vivacity/> The wavelet-based filter in Vivacity offers quick and effective noise reduction that does not destroy detail. Learn more about the new Topaz DeNoise.

and fwiw: <http://www.neatimage.com/mac/features.html> Neat Image incorporates the most advanced noise reduction algorithms in the industry that surpass the quality of all classic noise reduction methods and even that of the wavelet-based methods. Although the wavelet-based methods were developed relatively recently, Neat Image uses an even newer and more efficient approach to noise reduction.

The Mac stuff is interesting but of no use to me. But I didn't know of the embedded wavelets and I am grateful to you for letting me know of their presence.

That I didn't know wavelets were already present in Photoshop is a consequence of their habit of giving names to features and functions which give no real guide as to what those features or functions might actually be doing. You will no doubt argue that this is OK as the average photoshop user will not be able to understand the mechanical workings of the software even if it is explained to them. They would rather know that such and such an effect can be achieved with the gizmo function and have no interest in knowing how it is done.

Well that's not me. I've experimented in the past with multiple passes of unsharp mask sharpening at ever reducing margins and have been very pleased with the result. Doing this is somewhat laborious and I'm more than slightly pleased to know that PS has got it built in. I wonder what else I would like to know?

In any case, thank you very much. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens