Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
FromSavageduck
Date04/08/2014 04:29 (04/07/2014 19:29)
Message-ID<2014040719295750-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsFloyd L. Davidson
FollowupsFloyd L. Davidson (15m)

On 2014-04-08 00:12:15 +0000, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) said:

Floyd L. Davidson
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>wrote:

nospam
In article <878urg7kx4.fld@barrow.com>, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@apaflo.com>wrote:

Alan Browne
And as time goes on and the capability set of Photoshop increases more quickly than the Gimp's poor record of catching up ... well...

Floyd L. Davidson
Tell us about how great it is to have only a choice between "bicubic sharper" and "bicubic smoother" for filters when resampling an image either down for the web or up for printing!

PeterN
Are you talking about Photoshop CC? There are quit a few more choices. And there is PerfectResize, which has completely different algorithms.

nospam
keep in mind floyd has never used photoshop (and readily admits it).

Floyd L. Davidson
According to nospam.

nospam
according to *you*.

Floyd L. Davidson
I've never owned a copy myself. I have never had it on a computer at home. I have never "used" it in the sense that it was my normal editor.

Only you have ever said that I've never used it at all, in any way.

And that is totally irrelevant anyway!

Unless you are not aware of, and thus blind to the current capabilities of Photoshop CS6/CC & ACR.

If you don't know the difference between what happens when invoking a High Pass Sharpen as opposed to UnSharp Mask or Richardson-Lucy Deconvolutional Sharpen or Wavelet Sharpen, and instead think that Smart Sharpen is easy and does what you need... maybe you just don't know what actually is relevant!

Why is it you believe PS users don't know the difference between *High Pass Sharpening* & *USM*? Some of us simpletons have a fair idea of the concept. Adobe has its own labels and names for some complex functions to degeekify a few things for the non-geek post processing photographer, surprisingly there are more of those than the geek variety. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_648.jpg > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_640.jpg >

The sharpening options in PS are quite varied. You also seem to not understand just what *Smart Sharpening* actually is. What it isn't, is some simple one click, sharpen filter. *Smart Sharpening requires an understanding of the process and must be tweaked and adjusted for optimal effect, for total image, shadows, and highlights. It is a big improvement over USM and the simple one click Sharpen Filter.

Then in ACR or the *Camera RAW Filter* you have the ability apply sharpening selectively with masking. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_646.jpg >

Add to that the addition of the *Shake Reduction Sharpening* filter found in PS CS6/CC. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_641.jpg >

-- Regards,

Savageduck