Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Alan Browne
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
FromAlan Browne
Date04/08/2014 00:10 (04/07/2014 18:10)
Message-ID<uqydnd1FctD_v97OnZ2dnUVZ_qKdnZ2d@giganews.com>
Followsray carter

On 2014.04.07, 17:45 , ray carter wrote:

ray carter
).

Jeffery Small
once again, more work than needed. on a mac, there's no need to run anything (especially using a command line). a simple tap of the space bar gives a quick look of nearly any file (photos, pdfs, spreadsheets, zip files and much more), which is why it's called quick look.

I don't believe the OP mentioned having a MAC.

missing the point entirely.

ray carter
Yes, I think you were.

I hate to defend nospam, but you missed the point.

Where you said earlier you would use dcraw to "get a quick look at things" nospam replied that on a Mac it's just a question of pointing (in a file list in a finder (folder) window) and tapping (on my setup with a track pad, simply tap the pad with three fingers) and the image is shown instantly. No need to enter a command line. No need to view the result with another viewer. It's just there - in front of you instantly. And no thumbnail littering the folder afterwards.

I just did as you suggested earlier (dcraw -e on a file) and it took about 20 seconds to open a terminal, change folders to where the raw file was, then enter the command, then open the thumbnail for a look.

Same quick look from an open finder window took much less than a second ... and didn't leave me (a) thumbnail files that I now have to go delete from the prior dcraw -e operation.

(I'd actually use "Bridge" to preview images - but that's not an OS issue - with that I can rifle through an astonishing number of raw files quickly and w/o any fuss).

Mac OS X has been the chosen photography/graphics OS for a long time because that is one place it found a strong following decades ago. It's no surprise that the UI layers of OS X support photography so directly.

-- "Big data can reduce anything to a single number, but you shouldn’t be fooled by the appearance of exactitude." -Gary Marcus and Ernest Davis, NYT, 2014.04.07