Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Alan Browne
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
FromAlan Browne
Date04/07/2014 22:47 (04/07/2014 16:47)
Message-ID<SeSdnRza1LRYk97OnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@giganews.com>
FollowsBob
Followupssid (1d & 8m) > Alan Browne

On 2014.04.06, 19:11 , Bob wrote:

Bob
I don't use Linux. Though I find it a sorry excuse for an OS, I use Windows every day.

Linux is a great OS - but not for "desktop" though that community desperately tries to make it so.

The market for desktop users of Linux is less than 2% [1] of the overall desktop based on web stats. Linux finds its strength in servers, databases, transaction systems, super computers, embedded and other "out of view" systems - and does very well there.

It's not surprising that Adobe avoid the Linux market - there isn't one worth addressing.

(By 'desktop' I include laptops running conventional OS'; ie: excluding iOS, Android, Chrome (the OS), etc).

Windows is a horrible OS (tragically flawed), but its dominance (a blessing by way of a series of unfortunate events) makes it the defacto OS for most offices and homes.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers

-- "Big data can reduce anything to a single number, but you shouldn’t be fooled by the appearance of exactitude." -Gary Marcus and Ernest Davis, NYT, 2014.04.07

sid (1d & 8m) > Alan Browne