Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Alan Browne
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
FromAlan Browne
Date04/06/2014 20:58 (04/06/2014 14:58)
Message-ID<H9Gdnc96X4dDPtzOnZ2dnUVZ_o6dnZ2d@giganews.com>
FollowsTony Cooper

On 2014.04.06, 12:51 , Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 11:37:24 -0400, Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca>wrote:

Alan Browne
On 2014.04.06, 11:10 , Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
You'd think some people have just discovered that Photoshop is a good program and feel compelled to tell the world about it.

Alan Browne
I forgot to add:

In reality many Photoshop users (myself included) despise Adobe and the high price of using it and we would love for the Gimp to displace it.

However, the 'cost' of using the Gimp is far heavier than the cost of using Photoshop so we stick to Photoshop.

And yes, we tell anyone using the Gimp that they are not using the tool of choice of most serious photographers. The tool with the most features, abilities, ease of use and the most support of various kinds including 3rd party plugins.

The OP (assuming he's not a troll) came here for help and most here use Photoshop - so the replies given reflect the sad reality of Photoshop dominance. Akin to the even sadder dominance by Microsoft in OS and office apps.

Sucks. But that's the way it is.

Tony Cooper
What I get tired of is that if the word "Gimp" appears in a post, it's like Pavlov's bell goes off. What will follow is "gimp doesn't have layers", "nondestructive editing", "old school" and the like. (no caps intentional)

This is foremost a newsgroup forum, so all bets are off wrt what will happen. Next it's a photography forum where the majority of us are Photoshop slaves. Nonetheless far better off as kept by Adobe than wandering the wilds, cold and alone with Gimp.

Who's under the impression that all of this is not already known by anyone who's using either program? It's not news.

When someone comes here with something as lame as the Gimp's UFRaw settings, then alternates are always up for suggestion.

As for the OP being a troll, why would anyone come back to the group if the original question has been answered, and then the thread deteriorates into a Gimp vs Photoshop battle of the witless?

I'll let your considerable abilities at analysis guide you.

-- Those who have reduced our privacy, whether they are state or commercial actors, prefer that we do not reduce theirs. - Jaron Lanier, Scientific American, 2013.11.