Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

Floyd L. Davidson
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
FromFloyd L. Davidson
Date04/06/2014 18:17 (04/06/2014 08:17)
Message-ID<87sipqmnyp.fld@apaflo.com>
FollowsAlan Browne

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca>wrote:

Alan Browne
I replied to the OP and I pointed out that the UFRaw settings that were displayed looked a bit off to me, and one in particular (WB) was suspicious. I told the OP to make some adjustments to get (closer) to a baseline position. Since I no longer have the Gimp (or Linux) installed, I didn't take it further to test the settings that he had.

He did not reply to that - so I wonder:

1) Were we trolled? (Again).

I thought *you* were trolling! Your suggestion/comments were nonsense.

2) Who's the troll? (And I have my suspicions).

Well, lets just look at what you said:

'The default (or however you have them) UFRaw settings might not be "nominal" - so go over them one by one and attempt to find if any are really way off. Set the channel multipliers to 1 (to begin), temperature to 5000K (more or less) and so on. It may just be your defaults are too wacky."

Set the channel multipliers to 1??? And also set the color temperature to about 5000K... How about wacky!

His posted URL clearly showed the color temperature was set to 5054K, which seems close enough. But you don't seem to realize the color temperature is controlled by setting the channel multipliers. Setting them all to 1 produces a very green image with a color temperature of 4248K. (Essentially the same as a UniWB profile.)

"(I notice for example that the WB setting is "0" in your examples."

There is no other possible setting. That button doesn't allow a numerical entry, because it brings up the menu for preset White Balance configuration (Camera, Manual, Auto, Daylight, etc).

"Not sure if that's a correct or useful WB value in The Gimp."

It has nothing at all to do with GIMP.

"Likewise your channel multiplier values @ 4 and 2 in the 2nd/3rd examples may be quite a way off - or not)."

The 2nd image is of blue sky, and the channel multipliers set a color temperature shown as 16,811K. That may or may not be way off, depending on what one wants the sky to look like. The 3rd image has a color temperature of 6148K, as is also clearly shown. Both seem reasonable enough...

"All that said, when you're serious about photography and raw you should seriously get away from Linux and The Gimp."

Or better would be to understand image editing.

-- Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/ Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com