Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

nospam
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
Fromnospam
Date04/06/2014 14:09 (04/06/2014 08:09)
Message-ID<060420140809099540%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsFloyd L. Davidson
FollowupsFloyd L. Davidson (1d, 13h & 45m) > nospam

In article <87a9byohta.fld@apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@apaflo.com>wrote:

Eric Stevens
Clark Vision have published articles describing their tests with all these things using Photoshop. See for example http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/image-restoration2/index.html>

Floyd L. Davidson
Read it a little closer Eric, Roger Clark did not use PhotoShop for Richardson-Lucy Deconvolutional sharpening, he also didn't even mention the Wavelet sharpening that I have previously commented on.

read it closer yourself. what he *didn't* use was the gimp.

photoshop has deconvolution built-in, but if that isn't to your liking, there are plug-ins available that can do exactly what you want.

Clark does describe Unsharp Mask using PhotoShop to be specifically much the same as USM is in other editors.

no surprise there.

in fact, usm and many other image processing functions are built into os x itself on both mac and ios. it's basically one line of code.

He also points out the "Smart Sharpen" is the kind of problem that I described, where the user cannot tell what it might do. Some settings may use a different mix of two or more types of sharpening. It's the kind of thing you just adjust until it looks "wonderful", and have no idea if that setting would also be useful on the next image or not.

nonsense. if you use it you'll know what it does or doesn't do and whether it's appropriate for the 'next image' or not. you can also choose to not use it at all.

Floyd L. Davidson (1d, 13h & 45m) > nospam