Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

nospam
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
Fromnospam
Date04/06/2014 08:44 (04/06/2014 02:44)
Message-ID<060420140244491943%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsFloyd L. Davidson

In article <87y4zjnio3.fld@apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@apaflo.com>wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson
Learning how to use Linux and GIMP might not be possible for some people, but it can be a superior choice for others.

nospam
only for those not interested or incapable of using more capable software. had the original poster been using camera raw, he would not have had any problems with minolta/sony or any other raw file, and he would also benefit from a fully non-destructive workflow, something not possible with the gimp/ufraw.

Bob
I'm confused. Are you saying *noone* can produce good and efficient results with GIMP, or are you saying *you* aren't able to use it effectively?

nospam
neither.

Bob
So then you are saying GIMP *can* be used efficiently with good results?

Savageduck
Not efficiently, using it is a royal PIA, and other software available for Windows and OSX is superior in all ways.

Floyd L. Davidson
I suppose for people who lack certain abilities and do not have critical needs, that might appear to be true.

nonsense.

Windows and OSX are probably vastly superior for producing run of the mill snapshots for Grandma's family album or to post on Facebook.

they're vastly superior for producing any type of photo, from snapshots to major ad campaigns, catalogues, formal portraits or whatever else.

For those who have higher aspirations there are alternatives that are better.

yet those with higher aspirations almost always choose mac or windows.

Savageduck
However, some GIMP users who have no desire to use Win or OSX, and only think open source freeware have been able to produce acceptable images.

Floyd L. Davidson
How about those who only think about the results, and are able to get better results using Linux and GIMP...

says the person who has never used adobe products, so how do you even know?? you don't.

those of us who *have* used both can see just how ludicrous that statement is.

I don't do astrophotography, as an example, but see where many of those who do use Linux and associated tools. And others don't.

why cite an example you don't use?

Savageduck
I have a copy of GIMP 2.8.2 on this Mac which I visit from time to time to remind me just why I don't include it in my image processing workflow. Regardless of the claims of GIMP evangelists/advocates it is not the equal of Photoshop CS6/CC, PSE, or lightroom. There are also some other affordable and very powerful image editing apps available for OSX (I don't check on Win stuff) which put GIMP in the shade.

Floyd L. Davidson
GIMP is not the same as "Photoshop CS6/CC, PSE, or lightroom" for you, but the alternate view is that you simply don't seem able to use GIMP, even when it would do a better job.

a better job at what?

you haven't used photoshop so you don't know what it does or doesn't do better.

Who exactly has the problem? You or the program that others can use to do what you can't?

the problem is that the gimp is less capable than photoshop and other options.

and a bigger problem is that you think that using the gimp is some sort of achievement that lesser folks are incapable of.

Savageduck
So while GIMP might suffice for you, Floyd, and other single minded Linux users, it doesn't do it for me, and the great majority individuals in the graphics and digital imaging world. If I didn't use PS/CC and LR5, I would buy the $29.99 Pixelmator to use before I made GIMP part of my daily workflow.

Floyd L. Davidson
So you make your decisions according to what you see as the most popular? Everyone that lacks any idea of what an image editor should do buys this, so you too buy this!

most people don't buy photoshop or lightroom because it's popular. they buy it because they're two of the best, if not the best, of what's available.

I buy what will best produce the results I need.

pros buy just about any app or hardware they want, and they consistently choose products *other* than linux and the gimp.