Re: Any Minolta/Sony users ...

nospam
SubjectRe: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
Fromnospam
Date04/06/2014 06:08 (04/06/2014 00:08)
Message-ID<060420140008550711%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsJeffery Small

In article <n3LBHH.12s@cjsa.com>, Jeffery Small <jeff@cjsa.com>wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson
Typically UFRAW is configured to save the current configuration as the default for the next image, which means (with that option enabled) you must set all configuration options each time UFRAW is started. Or another way to put it, there is no standard set of defaults that will always be somewhere close. If the last image processed was way out in left field, the next one will not even come close to looking right unless it is also off into left field.

Jeffery Small
Thanks. That's good to know. However, I cannot understand the logic behind this behavior. Shouldn't the program read the camera settings for the exposure as shot an then adjust the default settings to match what was the target exposure selected by the user? This would make more sense to me.

it should, but many times it can't because that information is encrypted.

what a lot of software does is apply its own defaults to give you something usable, and then you can take it from there.

If you're adjusting a series of pictures, it would then make sense to allow the current set of adjustments to be stored and easily reapplied on the fly.

lightroom can apply adjustments to as many photos as you want as well as saving them as a preset.

...snip...

Thanks for all the great information, Floyd. I haven't been using UFRaw as I thought it was broken. I'll spend some time with it and see if I can get a better grasp on its nuances.

if you have to spend so much time to get it to work, then it is broken.

good software 'just works'.