Re: Add to our coffers...

Lloyd
SubjectRe: Add to our coffers...
FromLloyd
Date08/04/2013 15:18 (08/04/2013 08:18)
Message-ID<lloydparsons-EBEB68.08182304082013@news.eternal-september.org>
FollowsNashton
FollowupsNashton (1h & 23m) > Lloyd

In article <ktlho1$g0p$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Nashton <nana@na.com> wrote:

Nashton
On 8/3/2013 9:59 AM, Lloyd wrote:

Lloyd
In article <82e8ee24-bca6-40fe-9def-34ad9dafc2fc@googlegroups.com>, KDT <scarface_74@yahoo.com>wrote:

KDT
So other providers like Amazon, Microsoft, Dropbox, and Google don't charge more for extra space?

Lloyd
You're not supposed to notice that! So be careful, you'll upset birdbrain and others of his ilk... :)

Nashton
I expect that utter nutjob KDT to post this nonsense, but you? Have you seen the price delta between Apple and other offerings, fanguuurl? $50/year for 100 GBs rather than $100 for 50 GBs? Plus, Apple's iCloud is a freaking MESS from top to bottom.

I'm sorry but your original posting was bitching about the end of the 1-year free of 20Gb of extra storage, a 1-year deal that was then extended to a 2nd year.

That was a great deal for those of us that switched from MobileMe.

If you'd like to discuss the value of iCloud other than the freebie, then you should have started a new thread on it. Actually I'm surprised you didn't as you are very much into bitch-a-thons these days... :)

I haven't checked the pricing of the various cloud services since I don't have a need for more cloud storage. And no, iCloud is not a mess from top to bottom, it is very well defined as to what it is and isn't. That you couldn't figure that out says more about your reading comprehension skills than anything else.

Now let's talk space. Here's what I have now and will have in the future with what I know at this point. Note that all cloud services can and do change things when they want to.

1. iCloud = 25Gb today, 5Gb in September. All free. In my case that is more than enough.

2. Skydrive = 27Gb today and future. All free. Much more than I need, but it is very good for general storage. I got this much space grandfathered in from something I was doing, don't remember what.

3. SugarSync = 5Gb today and future according to them. Good syncing and is more than I need from them.

4. GoogleDrive(?) = 5Gb I think. I got it somewhere along the line and haven't used it.

With the way things have been for cloud space, all these could disappear at any time. Which is one of the reasons that I have the following to ensure my critical and other data is backed up : 1. Time Capsule for Time Machine - dead simple and automagic! 2. Ext Hard Drive using SuperDuper! on a periodic basis 3. USB stick for critical data only that is kept off-site.

Nashton (1h & 23m) > Lloyd