Re: The Most Advanced OS of...

Laszlo Lebrun
SubjectRe: The Most Advanced OS of the World...
FromLaszlo Lebrun
Date05/04/2013 08:27 (05/04/2013 08:27)
Message-ID<km29o1$50b$1@tota-refugium.de>
FollowsAlan Baker
FollowupsAlan Baker (3m) > Laszlo Lebrun
Sandman (12m)

On 5/4/13 6:06 AM, Alan Baker wrote:

Alan Baker
In article <km0u3p$m20$1@tota-refugium.de>,

Laszlo Lebrun
Using "search", when I just want to "hide already read mails"? You call that intuitive?

Alan Baker
Sure. Search/filter... ...whatever.

Hmm that's an opinion.

Since it is in virtually every application that can display multiple items, be they emails, files, pages, one quickly learns that the advanced searching in Mac OS X is something you should at least try.

Laszlo Lebrun
The sort on status does not sort unread, as of Version 4.2.

Sorting is not the focus, we are on hiding already read messages.

Alan Baker
And it matters whether you actually HIDE the read messages rather than have them sort in the list AFTER the unread ones?

Oh yes. Why the hell should I have them always in my way, especially when sorting on an other criterium?

Again: software is improved with successive versions. This is unsurprising.

Laszlo Lebrun
Experience tell sometimes the opposite, especially with Apple software. but also Microsoft and Canonical.

Alan Baker
Really? Give some examples.

Jeopardizing functionality (you are not really asking as an OSX expert, are you?) Introducing nags to make some more money. Killing a start button Unity on Ubuntu Stopping support for hardware etc... but you know that do you, you just have been asking to troll isn't it?

Laszlo Lebrun
Sandman and the OP called them exclusively smart folders, so logically one would in the help search for "smart folders", which returns nothing since Apple call them "smart mailboxes".

Alan Baker
What Sandman or the OP called them is irrelevant to the fact that the actual SOFTWARE only calls them "smart mailboxes".

To that fact, sure. To our discussion not.

Laszlo Lebrun
Which -with permission- isn't really an appropriate designation for an own alternate representation of existing data from an external mailbox. I suppose some lawyer interacted here and Apple were not ready to pay license fees?

Alan Baker
What are you talking about? It's a perfect suitable name...

I disagree.

-- One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round. One wife and many hotels, not the other way round ! ;-)