Re: Stupidity in motion

-hh
SubjectRe: Stupidity in motion
From-hh
Date04/19/2013 03:27 (04/18/2013 18:27)
Message-ID<dc4e2172-85b5-4470-9ff7-beee28de250c@c5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>
Followsed
Followupsed (12m)

On Apr 18, 7:17=A0pm, ed <n...@atwistedweb.com>wrote:

ed
On Apr 18, 4:05=A0pm, -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com>wrote: ...

since they both cant be listed in the same column.

there's no reason to- just because you don't consider it an asset doesn't mean that the loan would be considered a asset. the car wouldn't be listed in *either* column- just as i wouldn't list all th=

random crap in my house that i could sell on ebay as an asset if i were working up my net worth, even though, technically, they'd be assets.

-hh
Oh, it is still an asset ... it's just that you're choosing to list it as a zero,

ed
i know. =A0and you know i know because that's what i said.

-hh
=A0in anticipation of depreciation & wear, etc.

ed
no. =A0because most people simply don't count a lot of 'stuff' as assets in household accounting. =A0do a test- ask as many people as you like to list their personal assets, and come back and tell us how many start listing household furnishings, clothes, nicknacks, etc. =A0it won't be many.

True, but most of that is due to ignorance. Ask them if they would expect their homeowner's insurance should pay them compensation if that stuff were to be lost, and the response will be "Hell Yes!".

Similarly, even though we can agree that a car isn't a good investment, it is still=

colloquial "asset" from the aspect that it is a desirable/useful to=

ol

to accomplish certain tasks.

and colloquially, a liability is something that costs you money. which cars do, even if it has no loan and has some value left. =A0tha=

t's

why this isn't as straightforward (outside financial accounting and the law) as 'a car is an asset.'

-hh
Same is true of a house, too...so is it not an asset either? =A0Or even one that you'll list as a zero?

ed
sometimes, sometimes not. =A0examples already given.

Not for a house with no outstanding mortgage. :-P

... =A0just as i don't include the value of all my random crap th=

at i

=A0could sell on ebay, as the purpose of me keeping track of asse=

ts

and net worth is to see where i stand long term. =A0bookkeeping t=

he

=A0current value of a vehicle (and other assets) that will be wor=

thless

=A0in 15 years adds nothing to that view. =A0ymmv.

Ah, but that's a question do appreciation vs depreciation,

not reall; maybe i should have left out the long view- i wouldn't include it in a view of my net worth NOW either. =A0;D

-hh
Oh, it's still a depreciation question... Which is also why you're willing to "fast forward" it to zero upfront.

as well as to what degree to ignore ankle-biters from the basic motivation of investments. =A0By the same type of logic, you would want to also n=

ot

include your house, since you always need to live somewhere....righ=

t?

if one were planning on living in their current house for the rest of their lives and passing it on to the kids(which some people do), that would not be a bad way of considering their house. =A0a million dolla=

house that you own free and clear does one no good if they are unwilling or unable to pull money out of it and live a poor life as a result. =A0but more practical people would clearly view a house with equity in it as an asset.

Which also follows conventional & general accepted accounting practices (GAAP).

ed
gaap is pretty irrelevant for personal accounting for most people. =A0i would guess that includes you. =A0unless you somehow manage your life on an accrual basis and pay mcdonalds on net30 terms i suppose. =A0:P

It isn't too particularly relevant for daily life - but we all are going to have Estates where there will be accountings done. How strictly will depend on the Executor and those inheriting...oh, plus the interests of the Tax Man.

a house that's upside down might be a better example- technically it'=

an asset partially offsetting a large liability, but colloquially, you'll not get many people to agree THAT is an asset. =A0;D

-hh
On the contrary: =A0both are still assets -

ed
yes, i know. =A0you know i know because i said so.

now, tell me, colloquially, how many people, in general, do you think would consider an upside down house an asset?

Only those that didn't notice where the goal posts started!

-hh

ed (12m)