Re: Stupidity in motion

Sandman
SubjectRe: Stupidity in motion
Message-ID<mr-D07707.13181518042013@News.Individual.NET>
FollowsNashton

In article <kkoj3t$5ub$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Nashton <nana@na.com> wrote:

ed
words do mean things. and in financial accounting and legal terms, a car is clearly an asset. for household accounting and colloquial use, it's much less clear whether a car should be considered an asset.

Nashton
In that case, a car can be considered, and mostly is, a liability.

Incorrect. The *car* is an asset, the *loan* you have on the car is a liability. Even if your car depreciates faster than your pay off your loan - it still is an asset until its value has reached zero. An asset is something that holds value - even if that value is offset by another liability.

ed
personally, i don't consider my car an asset for purposes of household accounting or calculating net worth, just as i don't include the value of all my random crap that i could sell on ebay,

Nashton
Actually, he contents of your house are are actually valuable assets, which insurers consider when insuring a home.

Which, ironically, works the exact same way for... cars.

In many case, they exceed the value of the dwelling.

What insurance company insures your home above its value?

Idem for a car, that is insured for its residual value.

No, it's not. Or at least not in the real world - perhaps insurance companies in Canada work differently? Here in Europe, the insurance cost for a car is based on the cost of repairs (for damages) or purchase price / market value and risk ratio (for theft). Whatever loan you have on this car doesn't affect the insurance cost one bit.

ed
as the purpose of me keeping track of assets and net worth is to see where i stand long term. bookkeeping the current value of a vehicle (and other assets) that will be worthless in 15 years adds nothing to that view. ymmv.

Nashton
A car is a liability

Incorrect.

with a zero sum benefit towards calculating net worth

Incredibly incorrect - even when factoring in a car loan.

In strict accounting terms, it is an asset, but by that token, so is your dog, your cat and the contents of your pantry.

First thing in your post that's actually correct.

OTOH, for an individual with limited resources, earning $12/hour like KDT, I can see how he would consider a car an asset. It is also very telling of the state of his finances ;)

How so? Why would a car be an asset to a supposedly poor person and a "liability" for a super-rich guy like you? What "math" are you using for that equation?

-- Sandman[.net]