Re: Google's answer to the ...

sms
SubjectRe: Google's answer to the iPad3 has just arrived...
Fromsms
Date11/06/2012 21:16 (11/06/2012 12:16)
Message-ID<5099702a$0$76960$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>
FollowsFlint

On 11/3/2012 9:18 AM, Flint wrote:

Flint
The mini-iPad has been said is actually the better of the two size in some respects (and I would concur), but Google's Nexus line has also stepped up quality wise to a point I think most people don't really care about one over the other as far as specs, or even apps go.

Depends what you're doing. The iPad Mini screen is significantly larger than the Nexus 7 screen, but one thing nice about the Nexus 7 form factor is that you can hold it in the palm of your hand, while the iPad Mini is large enough that you have to hold it in the same was as the full size iPad.

The whole benchmark thing is rather ridiculous. If you read the report at <http://www.itpro.co.uk/641896/apple-ipad-3-vs-google-nexus-7-head-to-head-review> they admit that even though the Nexus 7 wins on benchmark speed, in real-world applications there really isn't an appreciable difference in speed. I'm sure someone can find some other benchmark where the iPad is slightly faster, it all depends on the benchmark! In the benchmark at <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tjv8vdmgn4&feature=youtu.be>the Nexus 7 was nearly twice as fast in the benchmark test, but as the reviewer noted, the Apple apps take better advantage of the iPad Mini's hardware.

Android has solid/excellent apps for the primary intended use of most buyers (media consumption/social networking/browsing), so the only real significant remaining metric for user consideration is now *price*, pure and simple.

Actually Apple's apps are much better for media consumption (other than the fact that you can run Adobe Flash on the Android based tablets but not in iOS). Android tablets are more suited to content creation and running business oriented apps. With the Nexus 7 you get a GPS, something immensely useful when traveling, while with the iPad Mini you have to buy the model with the cellular radio in order to get GPS functionality. That's fine if you're willing to spend $459 on a small tablet. We have both iOS and Android devices in our house. The Nexus 7 wins as an eBook reader, hands-down over the 1024 x 768 iPad models, but the big iPad really is too big as an e-Book reader anyway. I'm sure that the iPad Mini 2 will have a higher resolution display and will be a good e-Book reader.